19 replies to this topic

#1 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:58 PM

I've been polishing up some badges by hand and wished I had a dremel which im sure would be quicker, easier and yield better results.

However this would mean parting with a wedge of cash for something which may just be a luxury.

Do you have a dremel, do you find it indispensable and what sort of things do you use it for?

#2 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:07 PM

I have a dremel and and the few times I get it out, I soon pack it away again. 

#3 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:14 PM

If you have a 1980s kit car that's been previously built by someone who doesn't have your attention to detail, it is invaluable. As for polishing, I haven't used mine to do that, but for cutting, grinding and sanding, it's been invaluable. That said, I have worked them hard and killed two of them in 9 years so don't expect it to be really hardy.

#4 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:26 PM

I love mine. I use it for everything. Its actually in my backpack right now. Sometimes i just have it with me.
I dont just use it for mechanical stuff either. Lately ive been doing my dogs nails with it and a small sanding bit. I hate cutting the nails and using the dremel makes it a breeze.

#5 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:31 PM

Had mine for decades and used it thousands of times. Very nice for trimming off bolts that are too long, making a slight chamfer on the threads so no cross threading etc. Plastic & metal cutting/grinding a cinch. Brass wire wheel takes care of lots of nasty rusty bits & pieces. Recently used the polishing pads and red paste that came in a fittings kit on some alu parts...really nice mirror finish in small amount of time. 

#6 Ell.s

Ell.s

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:27 PM

They are a very handy tool, especially with a flexi attachment for the more intricate jobs. Mines probably 18+ years old now and it's seen some hammer!

Edited by Ell.s, 26 October 2020 - 09:28 PM.

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:30 PM

Very handy tool, we bought ours from B&Q along with more of the cutting discs, then purchased some burr bits which are perfect for enlarging holes, cleaning wear lips on brake drums etc.

You can get air or electric, the B&Q ones are electric but still save alot of time.
https://www.diy.com/...0/189217_BQ.prd

They also do a battery powered unit, and a kit with all accessories for £200

Ignore the poor reviews, these are great tools. The sanding belt tool is rubbish though, the rubbers get damaged easily.

Hope this helps

#8 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:00 AM

I have a battery one from a good few years ago, and have been using it along with some Dremel metal cutting discs to cut the rust out of the rear floor/arches. Easier and just as quick as my angle grinder in this instance.

#9 MarkR

MarkR

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Local Club: Bergen Mini Club

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:10 AM

I have an old Black & Decker one. Invaluable for cutting and grinding in tight spaces.

#10 no66

no66

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Local Club: NMCC (Norsk Mini Cooper Club)

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:29 AM

Had my original Dremmel for ages. Probably one of the best tools to have. Saved me so many times for cutting off rusty or rounded off nuts etc. 

#11 Aaron3

Aaron3

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Local Club: Sunmc

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:20 AM

I’ve recently purchased a cheap battery powered one from Lidl for about £17 and it came with accessories. Considering the price it’s really robust and it’s come in handy quite a few times.

#12 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:47 AM

The tool itself is great but I find the accessories let it down.. I can't get the sanding cylinders working at all, they just spin off the rubber holders, the wire brushes are made so cheaply they just disintegrate.. etc..

#13 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:25 AM

The tool itself is great but I find the accessories let it down.. I can't get the sanding cylinders working at all, they just spin off the rubber holders, the wire brushes are made so cheaply they just disintegrate.. etc..

Scuff up the rubber drum so it provides more grip then really tighten down the end screw to expand the drum. I've found the Dremel really useful to attack localised spiders web type rust if trying to do minimal damage to the surrounding bodywork. 

#14 Hamstein

Hamstein

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:05 PM

I have a cheapy dremel copy, it has come in pretty useful for some things where you can't get a bigger tool in. 

Sort of on the same subject, - I'm absolutely loving my Milwalkee battery powered die grinder, used with roloc discs and a set of carbide burrs, I'd definately recommend it to anyone doing any mini bodywork, the thing is brilliant! :D

#15 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:39 PM

I have a cheapy dremel copy, it has come in pretty useful for some things where you can't get a bigger tool in. 

Sort of on the same subject, - I'm absolutely loving my Milwalkee battery powered die grinder, used with roloc discs and a set of carbide burrs, I'd definately recommend it to anyone doing any mini bodywork, the thing is brilliant! :D

Liking the other 10" wheeled transport in your pic.  Just acquired an SX150, and it was whilst polished up the ally flashes on the side panel that prompted my thoughts on getting a dremel to make the job easier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users