34 replies to this topic

#31 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:21 AM

The only thing going for the cooper engine is the D top pistons which if (and it’s a big if), the bore wear and piston wear is so little that they can be reused. With the D top pistons you don’t need to remove so much meat off of the head to get the compression ratio up.

#32 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:26 PM

There is no actual difference between a standard 998 engine & a 998 Cooper engine except for the D-top pistons, head and cam. As D-tops are no longer available and flat-tops are used instead, all you need is a 295 head and a better cam. The 266 cam is great in a 998, or a Mini Spares Evo001.

The cranks in all pre-A+ 998 engines are identical, but if you can find a 998 A+ crank they are better. One good idea is to slightly lighten the flywheel. Not a lot, but just slightly. That improves the acceleration.

#33 John/Dominguez

John/Dominguez

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:43 PM

Okay then no point to get that engine.. It will be worth to get new stuff... so that brings me to a cool story!

Not long ago someone introduce me with this old guy that told me that in the mid 70’s his father apparently was one of the managers of Authi (A Spanish company that produced Austin/Morris cars with official British leyland license) and around 1975 just before the company went into bankrupt mysteriously a big fire burn down part of the factory (some say it was to claim the insurance) and some how his father manage to buy/get literally tones of brand new parts such as panels, engine, blocks... he even told me that he was in touch with mini spares and on his words some of their employees did come over to Spain to see the warehouse where he keeps all this parts and they where surprised for example of how many primary gears he has that apparently are THOUSANDS of them... he even got a car dealership that has been shut for over 30 years with more than 30 brand new minis and other Authi cars in it and this is a true fact as is less than 20 minutes from my house (I’ll try to post some more pictures of the place here soon)

Why am I telling you all of these? Cause last week I asked him if he had any 12g202 or 12g295 heads of his brand new old stock and he just reply to me. And yes he does BUT the casting number are not the same, apparently when they used to do parts for Authi they used one number less in they casting number... for example he doesn’t have a 12g295 but he has 12g294 cylinder head that is virtually the same head.

So gonna ask him tomorrow how much would it be one of these 12g294 heads and I will let you know!!

Attached Files

Edited by John/Dominguez, 23 November 2020 - 12:25 AM.

#34 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:58 PM

Unless you’re planning on doing some work to improve it, don’t bother with the 202, get a 295.

Phil.

#35 John/Dominguez

John/Dominguez

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:31 AM

How much value (in £$€) would you give one of these 295 unused heads?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users