#1 Lenhamracer

Lenhamracer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:17 AM

Hi,

I just bought new Koni rear shock absorbers for our Mpi sports pack Mini (lowered). Problem is, the top diameter is a bit too wide. They fit but it is not possible to center them in the top hole as the upper body of the  shock touches the bodywork. Would you leave them on or do I need other ones??

I attach a picture of the shock absorber, it touches the body marked by the black arrow

Thank you very much

Thomas

Attached Files

Edited by Lenhamracer, 07 November 2020 - 08:21 AM.

#2 YoungJon

YoungJon

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Local Club: Leeds MG and ccc

Posted 05 March 2021 - 05:47 PM

Hi  I'm a newbie on the forum but this topic is one subject that is driving me nuts as I have had exactly the same problem . I purchased a full set of Koni's for my Sport pack recently . The fronts were fitted in no time at all but the rears have got me tearing what little hair I have remaining out !  I have been in touch with the manufacturer and he says that the rears are slightly different to the originals fitted by Rover but they should fit and had never had an issue with them. I then contacted the supplier of a well known Mini parts supplier and asked them if they actually fitted any Koni's in their workshop and was told ' err well no as they won't fit ' ! ! ! Well why the Feck do you sell them then ? ? ? In fairness to both the supplier and Koni I will be able to exchange them but for God's sake why have them advertised  on their web site ? 

If any one on this forum reads this , I would like recommendations for a good set a shockers for a standard set up . 

Cheers John 

Edited by YoungJon, 05 March 2021 - 05:50 PM.

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:49 PM

KYB Gas-adjust.

#4 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:37 PM

KYB Gas-adjust.

+1 on that.

#5 Revd

Revd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:59 PM

I bought lowered Koni adjustable shocks for my 1987 from Mini Spares last summer, they were a tight fit on the rear, only a fag paper to spare. Perhaps it is the later cars that are the problem or just random whether they clear or foul 

#6 YoungJon

YoungJon

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:47 PM

Well the only way I could get the top to fit was to fit the top end first . Fitting the bottom first and then extending the top half left the thread way out of line with the top mounting in the wheel arch  :wacko: . 

Anyway they are on their way back to the supplier for exchange . I've noticed that there are likes on here for KYB gas adjust . Any views on Spax adjustable or Bilstein B6 sport ? All opinions valued . 

Cheers guys .

John 

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:24 PM

Well the only way I could get the top to fit was to fit the top end first . Fitting the bottom first and then extending the top half left the thread way out of line with the top mounting in the wheel arch :wacko: .
Anyway they are on their way back to the supplier for exchange . I've noticed that there are likes on here for KYB gas adjust . Any views on Spax adjustable or Bilstein B6 sport ? All opinions valued .
Cheers guys .
John

Any of those adjustable shocks are too hard IMO, I've tried the spax ones and id imagine the Bilstiens won't be much different.

Go for the gas adjust from KYB, you won't be disappointed.

However if you do decide to go adjustable give Protech a phone

Edited by cal844, 07 March 2021 - 09:25 PM.

#8 Revd

Revd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:20 PM

I went for lowered Koni so that on full droop my rear (hi-lo) cones don't become unseated. You need to check the damper lengths when fully extended  

#9 YoungJon

YoungJon

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 07:49 PM

I went for lowered Koni so that on full droop my rear (hi-lo) cones don't become unseated. You need to check the damper lengths when fully extended  

Yep I did measure them and they were far too long when compared to the originals . I took a photo of them fully extended and  fully closed and sent the pics to Koni and their comment was ' your car must have lowered suspension ' which it doesn't and apart from the smootha-ride suspension cones is completely standard . 

Thanks for all your advice with regards the replacements . I will be going for the KYB's so hopefully all will be sorted soon . 

John  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users