15 replies to this topic

#1 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 11:30 AM

Hi I have overhauled the braking system brakes bled fine firm pedal I do have mintex mlb 20 pads fitted, and have only driven up and down a short driveway I do seem to have to use a fair bit of force to stop at only 10 -15 mph, yes I do know they need bedding in with the new discs but I'm surprised at the effort to stop. Bearing in mind this is the first time I've driven the car in 8 years so you do forget what it drove and braked like in the beginning and comparing to modern cars brakes, my question is can you check if the servo is working correctly just to put my mind at rest ?? and eradicate a possible problem ?

#2 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 11:45 AM

Pull the vacuum line off. If the braking effort doesnt change you know its not working.

#3 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 08 November 2020 - 11:56 AM

Alternatively, and without the need to disturb anything: With the engine stopped, push, and release the brake pedal half a dozen times. Holding the brake pedal down, start the engine and you will feel the pedal move down slightly.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 08 November 2020 - 12:26 PM

Alternatively, and without the need to disturb anything: With the engine stopped, push, and release the brake pedal half a dozen times. Holding the brake pedal down, start the engine and you will feel the pedal move down slightly.

That's how I test them, I've never had a failed servo in 10 years of mimo ownership. I have however had 2 master cylinder failures

#5 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 12:49 PM

Hi I have overhauled the braking system brakes bled fine firm pedal I do have mintex mlb 20 pads fitted, and have only driven up and down a short driveway I do seem to have to use a fair bit of force to stop at only 10 -15 mph, yes I do know they need bedding in with the new discs but I'm surprised at the effort to stop. Bearing in mind this is the first time I've driven the car in 8 years so you do forget what it drove and braked like in the beginning and comparing to modern cars brakes, my question is can you check if the servo is working correctly just to put my mind at rest ?? and eradicate a possible problem ?

Did you change the front flexi pipes. They have been known to collapse over time and restrict the flow of fluid.

Edited by whistler, 08 November 2020 - 12:49 PM.

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 01:08 PM

Pull the vacuum line off. If the braking effort doesnt change you know its not working.

But unless you plug the line the car will run badly.

New pads and disks do need to be both initially scrubbed in (to remove the protective layer from the pads) and then bedded in to get them to work properly.  I presume you cleaned any grease/oil/film of the discs when you installed them.

Brakes are always pretty poor at low speed if they've not been used recently as the discs build up a fine layer of rust too.

#7 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 01:11 PM

But unless you plug the line the car will run badly.

New pads and disks do need to be both initially scrubbed in (to remove the protective layer from the pads) and then bedded in to get them to work properly.  I presume you cleaned any grease/oil/film of the discs when you installed them.

Brakes are always pretty poor at low speed if they've not been used recently as the discs build up a fine layer of rust too.

Im sure that would be acceptable for the little drive up and down his drive.

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 01:19 PM

Not really - the last thing you want to do is create a problem whilst trying to diagnose one.

And a car that won't tick over, rev and drive cleanly is going to be a pig to drive whilst trying to find a brake fault.

Edited by GraemeC, 08 November 2020 - 01:19 PM.

#9 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 03:27 PM

Hi yes new flexi pipes fitted complete new braking system except the servo

Did you change the front flexi pipes. They have been known to collapse over time and restrict the flow of fluid.

#10 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 03:28 PM

Hi Quinlan brake pedal moved very very slightly barely noticeable 

#11 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 08 November 2020 - 03:51 PM

Hi Quinlan brake pedal moved very very slightly barely noticeable 

If it moves, that indicates servo is working.

If the pads are new, they need bedding in.

According to the Mintex web site
"The bedding in procedure is the same as any standard material i.e. steady braking for the first 50 miles, avoiding emergency stops."

#12 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 03:52 PM

Okay cheers for that will trial run a few times

#13 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 03:51 PM

Okay I have driven a little more up and down the cul de sac still unsure on whether the servo is working, I do hear a slight drop in revs when I press the brake but minimal pedal travel even when I first press the pedal leaving overnight.

Still to me doesn't feel right but as previously mentioned not driving it for such a long time and being used to modern brakes am I overly worrying I could do with a real comparison. 

#14 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 11:12 AM

Anyone help with this ??

#15 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 11:55 AM

Until you get the car out on the road and pads bedded in, you won't be able to realistically decide if the servo is working.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users