#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 15 November 2020 - 11:24 PM

"According to widespread reports in the press, Prime Minister Boris Johnson is planning to move the ban the sale of new petrol and diesel-engined cars from the old cut-off from 2035 to 2030. That’s following a move back in February, when it moved from the previous goalpost of 2040.
So, all of a sudden it looks like the end of new petrol and diesel-engined cars is looming into view rather sooner than we all thought when this concept was first floated not that long ago. Just to put this deadline into perspective, if we’re talking 1 January 2030, that’s a little over nine years away."
AROnline:-
https://www.aronline...diesel-car-ban/

#2 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:33 AM

I'm afraid that the frequency of "deal done by", "XXX,XXX tests by", "dead in a ditch by" comments have given government statements, for me, an equivalent level of confidence as "Torvill and Dean's Comeback Tour in Hell" would have.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:33 AM

Ain’t going to happen.  There is nothing available to support electric cars. And batteries are not the way forward they are only a stop gap.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:07 AM

"Rishi Sunak is considering plans to charge motorists for using Britain’s roads amid concerns over a £40 billion tax shortfall created by the switch to electric cars.

A Treasury paper on a new national road pricing scheme has been presented to the chancellor. The government will announce this week that a ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars, which forms part of the prime minister’s ten-point plan on climate change, will be brought forward to 2030."

https://www.thetimes...-hole-t2bz9k6br

#5 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:25 AM

"Rishi Sunak is considering plans to charge motorists for using Britain’s roads amid concerns over a £40 billion tax shortfall created by the switch to electric cars.

A Treasury paper on a new national road pricing scheme has been presented to the chancellor. The government will announce this week that a ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars, which forms part of the prime minister’s ten-point plan on climate change, will be brought forward to 2030."

https://www.thetimes...-hole-t2bz9k6br

There will be a bigger shortfall than that... many Companies who have offices will have been forced to reconsider whether working from home could be a permanent move for a proportion of their staff. Even with putting in place road charging; if less people are travelling on a daily basis this will create a bigger shortfall.

#6 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:25 AM

Ain’t going to happen.  There is nothing available to support electric cars. And batteries are not the way forward they are only a stop gap.

With six new power stations proposed to be built in the next few decades and considering the national grid at near full capacity halfway through coronation st on Christmas Day with people making a cuppa while the adverts are on, I agree with nick and oh I've just seen a pie in the sky!

#7 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:01 AM

There's a world wide shortage of the raw materials required to produce HEV batteries and apparently problems trying to recycle end of life HEV batteries.
Manufacturers by law have to take back end of life batteries but allegedly no one in the uk is capable of recycling them.

#8 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:03 PM

And it kind of assumes everybody has drives or garages doesn't it?

#9 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:44 PM

It will happen whether we like it or not.

The no driveway thing is no different to believing that houses couldn't be heated with gas when everyone was using coal. Currently there are more EV charging locations in the UK than there are traditional filling stations and the network is growing at a remarkable rate, whereas traditional filling stations are on the decline.

The idea that all EVs are charged at home, driven around using the available range then charged again at home is a complete fallacy, many EVs are charged at the destination whether it's the supermarket or en-route at a motorway service area. It's those away from home locations that have the higher current availability for high speed charging. It's different than running a petrol or diesel, EV owners tend to plug their car in daily to top it up rather than waiting until "the tank's a quarter full", they can do it at work or home so it's not an inconvenience and no need to go out of their way.

The revolution is coming!

#10 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:54 PM

I'm still not thinking there will be an electric car capable of towing my caravan 400 miles a day through France, or maybe foreign travel won't be a thing then?

#11 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:43 PM

The EV Transition Could Mirror The Horse To Model T Transition

"Analysis of past technological shifts indicates that, once a certain threshold is reached, the transition could take place at surprising speed. It is surprising how fast cars replaced horses as the main means of transport in the early 1900s. It happened in only 10 to 15 years in spite of many hurdles much higher than the barriers to adopting electric vehicles are today. In 1910 there were few paved roads and petrol was hard to find — today’s infrastructure of refineries and petrol stations didn’t exist. A decade later things looked quite different, governments and the oil industry were investing huge sums in roads and other infrastructure. In 1921 the Ford Model T was selling a million units a year. By 1925 annual sales were approaching two million. Making the switch to an electric car is much simpler than swapping the bag of oats for the fuel pump was a century ago. Furthermore, there are several technological and geopolitical trends that are combining to turbocharge the gathering electromobility revolution. One is the rise of China which is struggling to deal with choking air pollution and has global ambitions for its auto industry. Another is the advent of vehicle autonomy, which some believe will make transportation so cheap that few will want to own their own vehicles anymore. The shift will have little to do with climate change or government regulations — it will be a simple matter of cost and convenience."

https://cleantechnic...l-t-transition/

Edited by mab01uk, 16 November 2020 - 01:43 PM.

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:43 PM

We're just a year off COP 26, in Glasgow - Boris needs  something for "show 'n tell" & this is an easy commitment as it'll not be up to the Gov't to do any work.     At least not until it's too late to make the deadline, as usual.

Batteries are very much part of the energy strategy. Not for transport, but as a storage buffer to smooth out the demand on the grid. We'll be plugging our cars in to cook our tea & access TMF, they'll get charged once we've gone to bed.

How hydrogen compares will be interesting to see, especially if most of the petrol stations have been turned in to town houses by the time the technology matures.

Charging away from home is going to take some serious investment in power infrastructure at the charging sites. Likely to also eat up a fair chunk of parking real estate that's already in short supply too. I reckon we can expect some discouragement from private car ownership. Live in a block of flats and expect to make do with an electric scooter & Uber!

Electric motors would be great for towing, just expect to take a lot more Autoroute picnics on your way to Biarritz, or spend an extra £20k on a caravan that's half plug in battery pack.

#13 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 03:32 PM

I'm still not thinking there will be an electric car capable of towing my caravan 400 miles a day through France, or maybe foreign travel won't be a thing then?

But why not? Tesla's latest V3 supercharger will give their Model 3 180 miles of charge in 15 minutes, obviously that wouldn't be as high for a vehicle that's towing but the technology and infrastructure is getting there. You'll also be fine to charge at your destination caravan site which doesn't need to be anything more than a few kw because you can charge overnight. The future will be high power superchargers (~300kw) on major routes and lower power home/destination charging of 3kw - 7kw. There's only Tesla that currently has a real supercharger network but the rest will follow.

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:03 PM

But why not? Tesla's latest V3 supercharger will give their Model 3 180 miles of charge in 15 minutes, obviously that wouldn't be as high for a vehicle that's towing but the technology and infrastructure is getting there. You'll also be fine to charge at your destination caravan site which doesn't need to be anything more than a few kw because you can charge overnight. The future will be high power superchargers (~300kw) on major routes and lower power home/destination charging of 3kw - 7kw. There's only Tesla that currently has a real supercharger network but the rest will follow.

Just got one of those new fangled VW "electric Beetles" in the family. Takes all day to put a charge in it through a 3 pin plug. Three charging points will be about equal to a house and need around the same space I reckon - we have 1.2 cars/ house apparently. 

#15 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:28 PM

I'll not hold my breath waiting for it, the diesel 4x4 will be king for a while yet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users