13 replies to this topic

#1 mrmeds

mrmeds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:41 PM

My boots been leaking worse than a cabinet meeting at no 10 recently so i decided  to replace the boot seal. After ordering the wrong one first , i today tried fitting the correct one, for a 1989 model- I think !

Tried fitting one from minispares, used wd40 to help it slide into place, but boot just won't shut now- i tried trimming bits of the lower edge as this seemed to be the problem, but to no avail. So I've had to put the old one back on.  Whats the secret ?

Any tips ?

Are some suppliers seals better than the others ?

Do you need to soften it up in hot water first ?

Is there a right and wrong way round ?

I did feel that this particular seal looked slightly larger when viewd in a cross section, but i suppose that could be due to ther shrinking with age

thanks in advance for any advice !

#2 Majormallock

Majormallock

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:15 PM

Just put mine on need to make sure its fully home, use a broad piece of wood to knock it home , (with care). This worked but still had to lean on boot to shut it

#3 mrmeds

mrmeds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:30 PM

Just put mine on need to make sure its fully home, use a broad piece of wood to knock it home , (with care). This worked but still had to lean on boot to shut it

sure i did get it fully home- 

i've just been looking at the pictures on different suppliers websites, some make it look like the flappy bit is in the centre of the v shaped  bit you put on the body   eg  Y    and others look more like its to one side. , like a. ' y'- wonder if this could make a difference.

I have just ordered another from minisport, to see what happens

#4 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:43 PM

My boots been leaking worse than a cabinet meeting at no 10 

:D

#5 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:04 PM

order one from pheonix trim. Its the best one you can get.
Not being able to shut is a common issue. You may need to adjust the latch catch so it closes once. Once its closed leave it alone as much as you can and it will get better after a few weeks then adjust the catch back.

#6 mrmeds

mrmeds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:14 PM

Not being able to shut is a common issue. You may need to adjust the latch catch so it closes once. Once its closed leave it alone as much as you can and it will get better after a few weeks then adjust the catch back.

thanks

didnt know the latch was adjustable, assumed it was just in one position- do you fiddle with screws on the plate, or something inside ?

#7 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:42 PM

thanks
didnt know the latch was adjustable, assumed it was just in one position- do you fiddle with screws on the plate, or something inside ?

You pry it with grips mostly. It doesnt take much. You will probably need to lean on it a touch to get it go catch the first few times. I put some silicone grease on the contact edges to the boot lid to help it seal up initially as well.

A trick to see if its sealing right is to run a £ note along the seal when its shut.

#8 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:37 PM

+1 for the Phoenix seal.

#9 mrmeds

mrmeds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:16 PM

thanks for the advice- i'd already ordered another from popular national supplier #2.  which i'll give a try before people suggested the phoenix one.

Compare the size and shape  of the two products- one is a little smaller and more y shaped in the cross section than the other. Y . This could make things a lot easier

Attached Files

#10 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:06 PM

thanks for the advice- i'd already ordered another from popular national supplier #2.  which i'll give a try before people suggested the phoenix one.

Compare the size and shape  of the two products- one is a little smaller and more y shaped in the cross section than the other. Y . This could make things a lot easier

Has this solved the issue?

#11 mrmeds

mrmeds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:11 PM

Has this solved the issue?

not had chance to fit it yet- hoping too tomorrow !

#12 mrmeds

mrmeds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 08:30 PM

right, got it on eventually- decided to spray it with wd40 to help is it on, but it didnt need it, and so kept popping off ! Any got it on and boot shut, so leaving it overnight before attempting to open it again !

#13 mrmeds

mrmeds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 08:51 PM

its now leak free, and getting slightly easier to shut each time !

#14 mrmeds

mrmeds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 08:08 PM

ok- so my boot is leak free, but the inside of the car is still wetter than the front row of a take that concert :(  Had window seals replaced but they seem to be leaking slightly between the glass and the seal, so i'm waiting for a dry spell so i can use captain tolleys crack stuff !

If that doesn't work then i'll have to try some more seals from a different supplier(. not mini spares !)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users