3 replies to this topic

#1 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:00 PM

I’m trying to fit a new front section, cat and RC40 exhaust to my ‘98 JDM.

The front section has fitted perfectly to the Spi manifold, the cat should then fit with a gasket, then the twin box RC40 back end should fit to the back of the cat with no gasket - it has a tapered end which doesn’t use a gasket.

However ... there’s an arrow on the cat that would suggest the way round it should be fitted, arrow in the direction of flow, but that means the tapered connection on the cat is at the front not the back. Am I missing something, or is there a possibility my cat has been assembled wrong?

The photos show:
- the RC40 tail section with the plain end of the cat;
- the RC40 tail section with the tapered end of the cat;
- the arrow on the cat ... which points towards the plain end.

Attached Files

#2 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:24 AM

Anyone?

I'll phone the supplier this morning, as it stands the cat can't be fitted correctly in any orientation!

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:28 AM

The flow on the cat does not matter. It is most likely just had the arrow marked incorrectly. 

If will fit then fit it that way.

#4 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I've had a good look into each end of the cat and there doesn't appear to be any difference to the membrane so I don't think it would affect the flow.

However, with the arrow pointing downstream the angles that the flanges are welded enable the cat to align perfectly under the car, exactly as you'd expect, but this results in the mating flange for the RC40 rear section being at the front not the back. If I turn the cat round (arrow pointing upstream) the flanges will connect but it puts the cat in an orientation that is likely to cause fouling of the flanges in the tunnel. As a norm the flanges and bolts should sit horizontally and below the tunnel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users