Photo
- - - - -

Any Tips For Accessing Hard To Reach Flywheel Cover Bolts?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 babsbrown

babsbrown

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:35 AM

Happy days! The tool I found best for the job for future reference is a machine mart 7/16" combination spanner angled to 15°. Using a large cold chisel to wedge the spanner onto the bolt to get full purchase and prevent rounding. I will attempt to jack the engine and remove the wok today. Although not mentioned in any Haynes manual etc...is it advisable to slacken any other engine mounts before jacking the engine? Cheers, Luke

#17 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:42 AM

Happy days! The tool I found best for the job for future reference is a machine mart 7/16" combination spanner angled to 15°. Using a large cold chisel to wedge the spanner onto the bolt to get full purchase and prevent rounding. I will attempt to jack the engine and remove the wok today. Although not mentioned in any Haynes manual etc...is it advisable to slacken any other engine mounts before jacking the engine? Cheers, Luke

I would undo completely the top engine steady and also any lower engine steadies. You may also want to loosen the bolts on the lower right hand engine mount.

#18 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 08:17 AM

are these the bottom " front" ones?

on my car i have holesawed a couple of holes just big enough to get a socket on them.

Apologies, there are still two bolts that are still sat in the wok cover, however they ar loosened all the way out. I've loosened them as far as I can physically go, but I can't physically remove them out the hole they are In, because the subframe or general body is in the way. I'm hoping that they're just held in the cover at the minute, and the whole threaded part of the bolt has exited the threaded part of the block. When I remove the remaining part of the engine mount tomorrow, I'm hoping the wok just lifts out with the bolts just sitting in the holes they are in.

#19 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,717 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:41 PM

When jacking try to avoid the fan poking into the radiator.Steve..

#20 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:34 PM

When jacking try to avoid the fan poking into the radiator.Steve..

Why would it? The radiator is fastened to the engine and would move too.

#21 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:18 PM

Because he might be tempted to remove the top radiator mount,I have seen it happen;just a little more ....just a little more oh dear.Steve..

#22 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:43 PM

Or the the top of the Rad, pushed into the inner wing, and ....water leak city.. doesnt need much of a hole, just  a tiny fracture will do... hence I always take the Rad out.... and use it as a good excuse to flush it and the block at the same time, and check the bypass hose if fitted and the bottom hose too..sure it takes more time, but I do it as a hobby not as  time saving exercise, so slowly slowly do it right and do it once..."Never enough money to do it right, but always enough money to do it twice.."

#23 babsbrown

babsbrown

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 11:33 AM

Hey guys thanks again for the help, just an update I got the Wok off, gently jacking up the engine, removing both of the bottom gearbox mounts and that was sufficient to get the wok out. The only issue now is trying to get the servo out of the way. I'm wondering whether the master cylinder and brake pipes could just unbolt from the servo. To allow extra clearance! Didn't really want to have to bleed the brakes but oh well...

#24 babsbrown

babsbrown

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 02:22 PM

So I removed the master cylinder from the servo unit, allowing enough room for wok to come out. It's just as well because it seems the rubber o-ring needed replacing in there anyway.Attached File  IMG_20201126_134242~2.jpg   50.72K   0 downloads

#25 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,485 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 27 November 2020 - 10:13 AM

Replace the master cylinder now to save you having to bleed all the brakes again when you need to change the cylinder.

#26 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:42 AM

Now might be a good time to buy a flexy pipe kit for the master cylinder so you can move it next time also think about some penetrating fluid for all the bleed nipples starting yesterday.Good luck.Steve..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users