#1 madaboutcherry

madaboutcherry

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:23 PM

can anyone recommend a budget friendly compressor for a single garage, i would like to be able to use a cutting disc, air saw etc and be able to use an air brush for small parts.

#2 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:28 PM

Hi, I got mine from machine mart. Its quite big but does fit under the bench.

Get the biggest one you can have set up in your space.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:59 PM

We use an old 200 litre, I'd recommend buying atleast a 150 litre compressor as you'll struggle with anything less IMO especially when undoing the tight or seized bolts.

I can recommend Machine Mart for the compressor, or Sealey for both the compressor and tools.

A top tip is to use your air tools with the compressor running and at around 100psi.

Hope this helps.

Cal

#4 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 06:35 PM

Yes definitely get as big a version as you can.

I have a 50L Draper which is great for an air line, air blow gun etc but its not up to the job of using hungry air tools.

If I was replacing it Id be looking for a 200L.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:09 PM

You wont get a 200ltr one under a work bench so i would look at the Clarke or Airmaster 100ltr 3hp.

Also to get that little bit extra oomph from your compressor look at the outlet / tap combination. On my old compressor i removed this and fitted the airline adapter directly to the housing. That did improve things.

My current one has a twin outlet which works well.

https://www.machinem...itre-air-compr/

In my workshop i have a single piston four horsepower 200ltr compressor which i would love to have in my garage but its far too big.

#6 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:32 PM

If you only want to do small jobs with it, just keep an eye on Lidl or Aldi. I've had one of their compressors (think it was about £80-90) for a few years and it's fine. But.... I find battery tools much more convenient than air tools so I don't have any reason to get anything bigger.

If I did find that I needed to use bigger, more powerful air tools (or if I was to paint another car) I'd either invest in a Hydrovane compressor or just rent one for the time I'd need it.

#7 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:04 PM

i havea  50 ltr v twin compressor, its in the shed so i can hardly hear it. But, it sprays well, does the nut guns reasonably, blows off etc. Now, really, if you want to do sanding, buy an electric Da, or use a jig saw for cutting steel instead of an air saw. The size of a 200ltr compressor, and more than likely the 3 phase you need to run it, forget it for the home gamer really.

You can get one like mine on ebay new for £200.

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:15 AM

i havea 50 ltr v twin compressor, its in the shed so i can hardly hear it. But, it sprays well, does the nut guns reasonably, blows off etc. Now, really, if you want to do sanding, buy an electric Da, or use a jig saw for cutting steel instead of an air saw. The size of a 200ltr compressor, and more than likely the 3 phase you need to run it, forget it for the home gamer really.

Three phase for a 200 litre compressor? Most I've seen run fine on a standard household plug

#9 madaboutcherry

madaboutcherry

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 25 November 2020 - 11:31 AM

thanks for your replies, it gives me some idea what to look for.

#10 MiNiKiN

MiNiKiN

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:04 PM

What you need to look at, is the delivery rate (cfm = cubic feet per minute) - then you check for pressure tank volume next, where a bigger one will help the compressor reduce it's duty cycles.

First check the required delivery rate of your desired air tools, then add some reserve for any tool you might add in the future and then deside on the compressor.

Ones with a belt drive are better than the direct drive ones -

this would be my coice

https://www.kompress...3-0kw-400v.html

600-150-11-stehend-__n_e_u.jpg

600l suction capacity

430l delivery = 28cfm

150l tank

Even with shipping the above is cheaper than the inferior Sealey equivalent from machine mart.

I currently have one with less delivery rate and when I use sanders and die grinders continously (like porting a head, paint prep or so)  it is simply overwhelmed. Lots of down time as I have to let it cool down quite often.

Another note on hoses - get a min. 8mm, better 10mm hose and high quality couplings - there is no point in having a good compressor and then feeding the air through cheapo airhose bottle necks.

#11 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:14 PM

I bought a compressor 30 years ago from an industrial compressor manufacturer,It was the same price as the usual catalogue suppliers but was much better specification.IT has 100l tank 14cfm twin cylinder belt drive Crompton motor and it has been invaluable.I have a good selection of air tools but even so they are always my second choice after mains electric tools.I use it for painting with air fed mask and small grit blasting with a pressure pot when it runs full time.Choose wisely and you will have a friend for life.Steve..

#12 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:15 PM

Have a look on FB marketplace or eBay for second-hand ones, you can pick up a decent older one for a good price.  

Minimum 100L tank if you can fit it in, or a 50L tank and an big old propane bottle (48KG they are often dumped) with a few simple adapters will add extra volume, site it laying down, or even outside your garage.

On the CFM value, anything over about 14 to 15 CFM needs a three phase supply or a twin 3HP engine / pump setup.

For most stuff you can get away with about 12CFM. 

DA sanders are the worst for CFM usage.

#13 CK's mini

CK's mini

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 08:52 PM

I'd recommend a belt drive so much quieter that direct drive ones

#14 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:39 PM

i havea 50 ltr v twin compressor, its in the shed so i can hardly hear it. But, it sprays well, does the nut guns reasonably, blows off etc. Now, really, if you want to do sanding, buy an electric Da, or use a jig saw for cutting steel instead of an air saw. The size of a 200ltr compressor, and more than likely the 3 phase you need to run it, forget it for the home gamer really.

Three phase for a 200 litre compressor? Most I've seen run fine on a standard household plug

yes but they only have small motors so take ages to refill. for that size you need one with decent pump on it. I could add extra tank to my compressor but there is no point.

#15 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:41 PM

I'd recommend a belt drive so much quieter that direct drive ones

They just make a less of an obnoxious noise but at the same volume level!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users