#16 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:49 PM

i havea 50 ltr v twin compressor, its in the shed so i can hardly hear it. But, it sprays well, does the nut guns reasonably, blows off etc. Now, really, if you want to do sanding, buy an electric Da, or use a jig saw for cutting steel instead of an air saw. The size of a 200ltr compressor, and more than likely the 3 phase you need to run it, forget it for the home gamer really.

You can get one like mine on ebay new for £200.

Three phase for a 200 litre compressor? Most I've seen run fine on a standard household plug
yes but they only have small motors so take ages to refill. for that size you need one with decent pump on it. I could add extra tank to my compressor but there is no point.
I believe (may be wrong but its over 30 years old) ours has a 3hp motor, with a decent size air pump, it's a 200 litre item and hasn't given major problems... I've recently had to change the head gasket due to the original being cracked but other than that all I do is change the oil once a year and keep it clean.

Edited by cal844, 25 November 2020 - 09:51 PM.

#17 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:58 PM

i havea  50 ltr v twin compressor, its in the shed so i can hardly hear it. But, it sprays well, does the nut guns reasonably, blows off etc. Now, really, if you want to do sanding, buy an electric Da, or use a jig saw for cutting steel instead of an air saw. The size of a 200ltr compressor, and more than likely the 3 phase you need to run it, forget it for the home gamer really.

You can get one like mine on ebay new for £200.

My 4hp 200ltr is on single phase but hooked up to a 16amp plug on a 32amp type C mcb at my workshop. So more than capable of being used at home where i have the same electrical setup in my garage.

The only reason i don't have that compressor at home is its physical size and the noise. She's old and noisy even with belt drive. Its a single pumper and vibrates like a good un.

#18 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:26 PM

mine is 3 hp, 50 ltr, says its 14cfm.

So all the same type of size motor, just i have a smaller receiver. Now, if you run a bigger capacity , and you drain it every time you use it, you have to leave it filling for longer. Also,  ok bigger capacity will hold more air to start with but over the 50 ltr,  if your using the air, itll take longer to get back up to pressure, or to gain pressure. If the motor has to work longer also, it means more heat in one fill time, and more moisture into the system. Im not  a fan of adding extra capacity to the set up, this is the way things where explained to me.

[not sure if i ave expained that so well lol]

Edited by Avtovaz, 25 November 2020 - 10:30 PM.

#19 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:59 PM

I've got a Workzone 50ltr 14cfm 3hp (so it says) compressor from Aldi, it was £140 and it's absolutely brilliant. Yes it'd be better if it had a bigger tank but I have got a old 50kg propane bottle I have adapted to use as a reservoir and that makes it much more usable.

One thing I found with mine is it has a built in "regulator" in the outlet that massively restricted flow even when fully open. Took it apart removed the guts and it's been spot on. My plan is to wait for them to come available again and run 2 in tandem that should keep up with most stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users