#1 James241118

James241118

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 04:16 PM

Hi,
I’m new to the forum and have been doing some serious searching but haven’t quite found what I need. I’ve just bought a 1969 Austin mini 998cc and am over the moon. 3 owners from new (I’m now the 4th) and it’s in great shape except for the electrics. The indicators, break lights and windscreen wipers are all not working. Neither are the temp or fuel gauges, although these light up when the headlights are on the don’t register any readings. The headlights and dipped headlights, horn, interior lights and back lights all work, as do the horn and the back lights and oil gauge and speedometer. The headlight switch and washer wiper switch are both on the dash next to the ignition and choke. The mini has a twin fuse box and the top fuse (35amp) keeps blowing instantly. Can anyone point me in the right direction as where to start my search? I am unsure if the blower works, it seems to demise the car but doesn’t really make any noise?
Thanks in advance!
James

#2 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:27 PM

Tough one since so few fuses with many components one each fuse. Got to get a test lamp and/or multimeter and go through each component connections to find the shorting circuit. Also consider it may be a damaged wire rather than a bad device. Wires can break and short anywhere along their run. Need to test each line from one end to the other to locate a fault.

Might be better to just replace whole harness with new to eliminate it and focus testing on devices if still blowing fuse.

#3 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:34 PM

Disconnect all the wires from the output side of the blown fuse. Fit a good fuse. Reconnect the wires one at a time till you find the circuit that causes the fuse to blow and work from there to pinpoint the fault.

#4 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:41 PM

Disconnect all the wires from the output side of the blown fuse. Fit a good fuse. Reconnect the wires one at a time till you find the circuit that causes the fuse to blow and work from there to pinpoint the fault.

Good answer!

#5 James241118

James241118

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 01:56 PM

I hope this doesn’t sound too stupid but Which side is the output side? Sounds like a good plan to be though :)

#6 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:22 PM

I hope this doesn’t sound too stupid but Which side is the output side?

The side that isn't live when you take the fuse out.

#7 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:25 PM

I hope this doesn’t sound too stupid but Which side is the output side? Sounds like a good plan to be though :)

They will be mostly green wires .. or should if it hasn't been tampered with too much

#8 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:25 PM

Also, grab yourself a Haynes manual or search the forum for the schematics for your car. Will be invaluable for this and every other job on your mini.

#9 James241118

James241118

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 04:24 PM

Perfect going to get to it tomorrow, got my dads multi meter, Haynes arrived today and already got the schematics up, wish me luck 😂

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users