#1 Abzero

Abzero

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:01 PM

Hi,

I'm having issues removing the tie rod ends, they just don't want to budge. I've slackened the locknut (after a bit of faff), and am hold the rod with some mole grips; but the grips are chewing into the rod and the end isn't moving. 

I've paused so I don't end up damaging the rod anymore. Just to check i'm not doing something stupid; it should just be holding the rod steady and unscrewing the end?

Edit: tie rod instead of track rod

Edited by Abzero, 25 November 2020 - 01:10 PM.

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:15 PM

Might want to try some heat on the area to help release it.

If the tie rod is chewing, then you either dont have your grips tight enough or the jaws of the grips are damaged perhaps?

#3 Abzero

Abzero

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:32 PM

Thanks - the jaws are a bit beaten up. I'll order a new pair, and try a bit of heat on the weekend and see if that helps. Always the way, the job dismissed with a few words in the manual takes the longest.

Edited by Abzero, 25 November 2020 - 01:38 PM.

#4 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:18 PM

Hit them with a bit of penatrant spray whilst you are waiting for the weekend. Might not do a lot but it can't hurt.

#5 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:16 PM

I disconnect the track rod end from the steering arm and push the steering arm down as far as possible so you can get penetrating fluid to seep into the threads under gravity... leave for says if you can re applying fluid as necessary....if that fails, I heat the track rod end, not the steering rod bit, and when warm / hot spray penetrating fluid on the hot threads... protect your face it will splatter and spit but the thermal shock drags the fluds up the threads and can help release the rust grip... be very careful though, heat fluid and face dont mix well...amd jave a fire exstinguisher with you....dont heat the track rod end to silly levels, just enough to expland it a little

#6 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:18 PM

Oh and use a proper penetrating fluid like Plus Gaz or similar... WD40 is no use for this, though we all use it when we have nothing else to hand..

#7 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:53 PM

I've had success with 'Liquid Wrench'. T'ain't cheap, but it works.

#8 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:40 PM

I've had success with 'Liquid Wrench'. T'ain't cheap, but it works.

The stuff Screwfix sell in large aerosol cans works pretty well too .. it's been getting a 60 year old Austin apart!

#9 Abzero

Abzero

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:01 PM

thanks - I've got some stuff coming tomorrow, i'll apply that liberally for a couple of days and hope that helps.

Found a youtube video of someone doing the job - and he's able to turn it by hand :S.  I'm a bit surprised how bad the whole area is (most of the car is in good condition,) so I think getting the whole hub off is on the cards in the future (plus it got a minor for ball join dust covers at the last mot).

#10 Cooper Mac

Cooper Mac

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:15 AM

I had the same trouble recently! Spray with Plus-Gas and leave....spray some more, and some more, add heat, spray some more Plus-Gas on, leave, add heat, spary more Plus-Gas on....... Get some good quality Vice-Grips, clamp them as tight as you can without trapping your skin (we've all been there, right?) then get a good fitting spanner on the TRE, lots of swearing and it's off!

For me the TREs came off easily, it was the locknuts that were the devil to get off!

Just remember to coat the treads in copperslip, so that next time it is easier!

Good luck!

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:19 AM

Hi,

I'm having issues removing the tie rod ends, they just don't want to budge. I've slackened the locknut (after a bit of faff), and am hold the rod with some mole grips; but the grips are chewing into the rod and the end isn't moving. 

I've paused so I don't end up damaging the rod anymore. Just to check i'm not doing something stupid; it should just be holding the rod steady and unscrewing the end?

Edit: tie rod instead of track rod

Re-attach the other end to a bottom arm and use that to hold the Tie rod.

ps you can go further into the edit function to change the heading as well.

Edited by nicklouse, 26 November 2020 - 10:20 AM.

#12 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 11:52 AM

Oh and use a proper penetrating fluid like Plus Gaz or similar... WD40 is no use for this, though we all use it when we have nothing else to hand..

Duck Oil is another if I can't buy Plus Gas.

#13 Abzero

Abzero

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:32 PM

Got them off in the end. As most stories; it's a tale of two sides. Passenger side, lock nut tight but off ok, ball joint split quickly and easily. Track rod end stuck, eventually got it off with penetrating fluid, a bit of heat and two mole grips on the rod for extra grip (one on the locknut at the end of the thread.)

The drivers side, lock nut stuck fast, but TE hand tight. Ball join was a pita to get off and damaged the thread in doing so. Lock nut eased off with a little bit of heat.

Then I discover I bought the wrong gaitors...d'oh, but need new TE's anyway since one was damaged. So whilst waiting for those to arrive, I'll clean up the threads and make sure the're copper slipped before re-assembly. I'll mist the MOT retest window, but c'est la vive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users