21 replies to this topic

#16 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:32 AM

Also when you flat the paint down wet , use a de-greaser in the water as this cleans as you flat down (we use washing -up liquid )

does it matter which sort ? :lol:
or is fairy the best with longer lasting bubbles :lol: :lol: :proud:

YES and it leaves my hands "fairy soft" :-

#17 LITTLE MISS NAUGHTY MINI

LITTLE MISS NAUGHTY MINI

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:00 PM

Also when you flat the paint down wet , use a de-greaser in the water as this cleans as you flat down (we use washing -up liquid )

does it matter which sort ? :lol:
or is fairy the best with longer lasting bubbles :lol: :lol: :proud:

YES and it leaves my hands "fairy soft" :lol:

:lol: all the better for touching my car :-

#18 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:08 PM

If you do use washing up liquid make sure you wash it off VERY well and get it very dry. Washing up liquid contains more than a fair amount of salt, which will speed up the rusting process of your mini if it finds its way into nooks and crannies (which water has a habit of doing).

Personally I'd advise against using washing up liquid.

#19 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:11 PM

Dear Mr Jammy B
You only use a small squirt to a 2 gallon bucket and it is rinsed afterwards , been using it for 30 years now ,
it is never used on bare metal, and you dont respray your car very often do you ? , it is not like washing you car every week in washing up liquid , it is a very effective at de-greasing (ok there is a special de-greaser you can buy to add to your bucket and it is probs more suited to the job but everywhere i have worked use washing-up liquid)
however DO NOT USE CAR SHAMPOO as this contains wax and additives (not contained in washing up liquid)
SO do as you want on your car BUT please dont go around giving advice on things you know nothing about !!! >:lol:

Edited by Woody, 15 November 2006 - 10:39 PM.

#20 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:48 PM

does it matter which sort ? :dontgetit:
or is fairy the best with longer lasting bubbles :ermm: ;D :lol:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!! Don't use fairy liquid!! it contains salt, therefore is corrosive!

What caused your spots in the paint (the technical term is "fish-eyes") is probably sillicone contamination. Oil or other contaminants will cause a similiar affect. Make sure you thoroughly degrease and panelwipe the whole car, as most cars have layers of polish on top of the paint, this usually contains sillicones. So basically you are trying to paint ontop of a thin layer of sillicone! And when I say degreaser, I mean proper degreaser, don't get this confused with panelwipe which is 90% water and is not much use at removing stubborn stuff. I use cellulose thinners as an initial degreaser, but be careful if you do this, it can melt the paint if you leave it on for too long!! not pretty. Anyway good luck!! :w00t:

#21 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:06 PM

Dear Mr Jammy B
You only use a small squirt to a 2 gallon bucket and it is rinsed afterwards , been using it for 30 years now ,
it is never used on bare metal, and you dont respray your car very often do you ? , it is not like washing you car every week in washing up liquid , it is a very effective at de-greasing (ok there is a special de-greaser you can buy to add to your bucket and it is probs more suited to the job but everywhere i have worked use washing-up liquid)
however DO NOT USE CAR SHAMPOO as this contains wax and additives (not contained in washing up liquid)
SO do as you want on your car BUT please dont go around giving advice on things you know nothing about !!! >:lol:

Am very sorry. I have no problems admitting you are more experienced than me, however, from the post above it looks like my post has just been backed up by someone else in the industry.

#22 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:07 PM

does it matter which sort ? :dontgetit:
or is fairy the best with longer lasting bubbles :ermm: ;D :lol:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!! Don't use fairy liquid!! it contains salt, therefore is corrosive!

What caused your spots in the paint (the technical term is "fish-eyes") is probably sillicone contamination. Oil or other contaminants will cause a similiar affect. Make sure you thoroughly degrease and panelwipe the whole car, as most cars have layers of polish on top of the paint, this usually contains sillicones. So basically you are trying to paint ontop of a thin layer of sillicone! And when I say degreaser, I mean proper degreaser, don't get this confused with panelwipe which is 90% water and is not much use at removing stubborn stuff. I use cellulose thinners as an initial degreaser, but be careful if you do this, it can melt the paint if you leave it on for too long!! not pretty. Anyway good luck!! :w00t:

PLEASE READ POST ABOVE
be verry carefull about using thinners to de-grease as it can soak into the existing paint causing it to soften and cause reactions in the next layer of paint applied

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users