37 replies to this topic

#31 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 07:53 AM

My current 998 was turning out 70ish BHP on the rollers last time it was tuned and I expect it to last till around 80,000 as they have before. The lifetime of an engine is just as much to do with how carefully it is built and quality of components used as it is how it is driven. Cooper 998 (which was a different block and crank to later 998s) used to produce 68 BHP I believe and was a standard road car capable of at least 60,000 miles. Imagine a standard car with an engine that only ran 25,000 miles before a rebuild. BMC would have been bankrupted by warranty claims.

#32 Alex1380

Alex1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 08:07 AM

Why don't you all just go 1275cc?? u would get 70bhp standerd from it. add a cam and a head and you can get to 90bhp (with decent stuff) far more torque to.
As for halfords, pays rubish, staff discount it low. but its better than working some other places.

#33 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 27 August 2004 - 06:25 PM

god awfull, im leaving in 2 weeks though! as alex said really 15% staff dicount is C**p, the pay is rubish, and since it has been taken over they have turned into money grabbing bastards

#34 kaney

kaney

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 11:09 PM

and since it has been taken over they have turned into money grabbing bastards

you mean they werent already :D :tongue:

#35 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 29 August 2004 - 04:56 PM

they wernt too bad when they was owned by boots

#36 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 30 August 2004 - 07:06 AM

15% staff dicount

I get 95% staff discount were I work and get to take one of their trucks home whenever I want :D

#37 Ben H

Ben H

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 11:21 AM

Dan,

70 bhp from a 998, very impressive. Was that at the fly or the wheels?

For the record, one of the engines I only got 25000 miles out of was built around a brand new block direct from rover. When they stopped selling 998 minis they sold off the half engines for a bargin price. Basically I am saying that this engine was based on a totally standard bottom end. Infact I suppose I should be more specific in what failed. The bearings were all fine, it was the piston rings that went. The engine was totally nailed all the time though. The car was used on track days and drag strips a fair amount as well as being my daily drive. It was well maintained with regular oil changes.

I don't see whay a standard A series could not do 100000+ miles, infact I know some one with a morris minor that has done 215000 miles with only one exhaust valve being changed. As for 68bhp Coopers I am not sure they came with 3 year 60000 mile warranties back in the 60's.

The basic rule of thumb is if you increase the performance of an engine (particularly old engines like the A Series) then you reduce its life. In my experiance the life shortening has been quite dramatic, but I guees if I got some better pistons then it would last longer. I am lucky enough now to have my mini as a second car so an engine like this could last me years.......

#38 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:13 AM

Well, it ain't all that impressive really. I was aiming at making a more modern version of an original Cooper mill, so used lots of Cooper parts. The 12G295 head helps loads, especially since it has been breathed on a little by Vulcan. And MED bunged in some comp spec valves a little while ago. Got 1.3:1 Cooper S forged rockers which are really nice parts and an MED Hi-torq cam which pulls well.

Bottom end is +060 ( I know that means it's not really 998 for all you pedants)
and dynamically balanced, lightened and nitrided but basically standard. Now running non adjustable duplex gears so the power may be a little off what it was before. Had to change them 'because I was using the Kent high velocity, silent chain setup. Which is nice and adjustable, and very quiet in operation but the amount of wear when I checked it at around 15,000 was staggering. I really thought it could be about to break. Still haven't got round to putting in anything better.

That was measured at the rollers, I am pretty sure the place I took it won't have any gear loss compensation in the rig 'because they are a general tuner and test all kinds of stuff. Weren't very good though.

I know what you mean about piston rings! I did some once in a 998. They just can't cope above 70,000 rpm.

I have seen a couple of really high mileage A series myself. Always amazed they can last that long. A couple of them were cheating though and had been linered at the factory. I guess they were short of engines and had to liner some scrap blocks from the apprentice department or something. Good news for the owner though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users