• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:11 PM

Right, it's come to my attention that a few people want to know hoe to fit a Beesting ariel, the main area of concern seems to be the drilling of the roof, don't panic. Go slow and steady. anyway, Here it is. (this is done with no headling in car, you can do it with a headlinging in but you need to carefully peel it back.

You will need:

**A mini with a steel roof
**A Drill (variable speed not a neccesity)
**Some Hammerite or similar paint and small artists brush.
**Some Silicone gasket maker in a tube! (i used auto black silicone for windscreens)
**A rat tail file (basically a round file not a flat one)
**A collection of drill bits comprimising of a large one for the hole in the roof (check the back of the ariel packing for hole diameter) and smaller bits for pilot holes.
** Tape measure
** Some masking tape
** A steady hand!

OK, Step 1, Find your car with a roof!
Posted Image

Ok we're off to a flying start well done!

Next you're definatly gonna need this...
Posted Image

Mark up the middle of your roof, I didn't have to do this as my roof is vinyl and has a slight crease down the middle for me to mark up on. Once you're totally happy you've found the dead centre of your roof... mark it up with a patch of masking tape with a cross in the middle to show where you're gonna drill in.

Now, Fit a small bit to the drill, this is going to be pilot hole, that will guide the next drill bit size up. drill carefully, making sure you have a steady hand
Posted Image

ok once you're happy with that repeat the procedure getting progressivley larger drill bits on your drill, until you end up with the correct diameter for the ariel screw thread to go through....
Posted Image

Ok you're doing great, see?... drilling your roof isn't so bad after all!

Right, Now, around the hole you will have burrs of metal from the drill, just wang round the hole with a rat tail file to make the hole nice, smooth and clean, now reach for your paint!... you want to protect it from the elements just incase, so a nice layer of hammerite or something similar will do the trick, i used rustoleum as I have some kicking around lol
Posted Image

Once that paint has dried reach for the windscreen seal silicone. I put a nice blob right around the hole about 3-4mm high, this will seal act as a completely weather proof gasket when the ariel is tightened down to the roof.
Posted Image

Once that has set, get the base of the Ariel (most beesting ariels have a detatchable mast) and carefully poke it thorugh the hole you made, should look like this (note, my ariel has a built in signal amplifier which is powered by the red wire you can see, some have these, some don't)
Posted Image

Excellent, tighten the nut from the inside of the car nice and tight, and this will pull the base down on to the roof securely. Once tight, this is what you'll have:
Posted Image

Now all that is left to do is screw on the mast.....
Posted Image

And admire your handywork!!! NOw drink beer! And eat biscuits! (or a pie!)
Posted Image

hope this helps someone out there!

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:53 PM

I put one on mine when I rebuilt it, and the headlining was off... means you can run the cable behind the cant rail...

5 years later still dont have a radio in the car !

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:08 PM

Worst bit for me when I fitted one to mine was marking out and drilling the roof, doesn’t help that the roof is curved either.

And make sure you use plenty of sealant, even if your nice shiny aerial comes with a rubber seal as I’ve fitted one of the older chrome style one to mine and only year on the ruddy rubber seal has perished and now leaks occasionally.

Note to self, get of your ass and ruddy fix it. :w00t:

#4 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 09:10 PM

make sure you use plenty of sealant, even if your nice shiny aerial comes with a rubber seal as I’ve fitted one of the older chrome style one to mine and only year on the ruddy rubber seal has perished and now leaks occasionally.

Note to self, get of your ass and ruddy fix it. :X

Good idea 1984,.... sealent is paramount to this how-to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users