#1 MINI R1

MINI R1

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:56 PM

WHAT ENGINE UPGRADES CAN I MAKE ON A R1 ENGINE?

#2 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:36 PM

Can change cams, port the head, increase compression, re-jetting carbs, titanium manifold, race can etc etc

Or you can start turbocharging, supercharging, nitrous oxide etc

Depends what you are after, a small power increase or much bigger power outputs, how long you want it to last and how much you want to spend.

I don't think the R1 likes too much tuning, especially the gearboxes. Around 180bhp is probably a safe limit.

#3 MINI R1

MINI R1

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:48 PM

Can change cams, port the head, increase compression, re-jetting carbs, titanium manifold, race can etc etc

Or you can start turbocharging, supercharging, nitrous oxide etc

Depends what you are after, a small power increase or much bigger power outputs, how long you want it to last and how much you want to spend.

I don't think the R1 likes too much tuning, especially the gearboxes. Around 180bhp is probably a safe limit.

what gains would i get from a power commando and at what costs?

#4 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:15 PM

Might get about 10bhp, can get them off ebay for about £200.

Ask Ade how much power he got after fitting his.

#5 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:41 AM

I fitted mine and loaded a map from their website that seemed about right for what I was running and ran it like that for a while. It certainly seemed an improvement over the original map.

When I had it mapped properly it made a gain of about 12ish bhp from what i remember but gained a whole load of low and midrange torque! It really made it much much smoother to drive with noticeably more grunt out of slow corners. So over all very happy with the results. :xxx:

#6 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:06 AM

the first thing to do is get the dogs undercut by 5degrees so that they dont jump out of gear they were very wheely happy in the bike and alot of 2nd to 3rd gear wheelies will have had band changes hence they can jump out of 3'rd

#7 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:51 PM

Is yours injection or carb?
For Carb, you can change the jets (dynojet do a good 160bhp kit) or you can ditch the carb for throttle bodies from a honda blackbird. They fit straight on carb engines only, not the later injection engines. The benefit is they are actually larger than the standard R1 injection throttle bodies and you can get them dirt cheap. I just bought a set for £27.50 on ebay. You'll obviously need an ecu (KMS do an ideal one for £400). I've heard that this setup reaches well over 180bhp, infact, my local motorsport place gaurauntees it.

Edited by Alburglar, 11 December 2006 - 05:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users