#2 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:20 AM

so long as you prep it right, most paint will stick to it. hammerite spray is pretty good if you take your time, and halfrauds own brand stuff is ok, so long as you put lacquer on it.

#3 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:23 AM

so long as you prep it right, most paint will stick to it. hammerite spray is pretty good if you take your time, and halfrauds own brand stuff is ok, so long as you put lacquer on it.

Ok cool.
When you say prep it, i know what u mean, but spraying something lke that, what way would u prep it.
Could you give us little run down. plus the best way to do the lacquering as well :xxx:
Thanks.

#4 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:31 AM

lol I'm no expert! I'll give it a go though....

degrease it with thinners or something so you dont soak your sandpaper in oil. rub down the exterior with wet and dry till its all nice and smooth (you could nitromors it off and start with bare steel as well). degrease it again to be sure. I just use halfords spray cans, get one of primer, one of the colour you are using and one of lacquer. Its not cheap but its good stuff, and its compatible with the halfords paint. give it 2 or 3 thin coats of primer, when its dry rub it down with wet and dry. then give it about 4 thin coats of colour. flat this down with wet and dry when its dried off, and give it one final coat of colour. When this is dry, give it some thin coats of lacquer. It should come up looking very shiny!

#5 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:37 AM

lol I'm no expert! I'll give it a go though....

degrease it with thinners or something so you dont soak your sandpaper in oil. rub down the exterior with wet and dry till its all nice and smooth (you could nitromors it off and start with bare steel as well). degrease it again to be sure. I just use halfords spray cans, get one of primer, one of the colour you are using and one of lacquer. Its not cheap but its good stuff, and its compatible with the halfords paint. give it 2 or 3 thin coats of primer, when its dry rub it down with wet and dry. then give it about 4 thin coats of colour. flat this down with wet and dry when its dried off, and give it one final coat of colour. When this is dry, give it some thin coats of lacquer. It should come up looking very shiny!

What numbers on the wet and dry am i looking at ?
Do u just use normal car spray primer. then the hammerite spray on top.
Plus, whats nitromors. do u just soak it. and would it come up new looking.. :xxx:

Oh thats that paint striper stuff :w00t: that stuff burns when u get it on ya hands lol

Edited by Mark1275GT, 25 November 2006 - 12:43 AM.

#6 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:50 AM

dunno what number wet and dry, i just grab some old worn bits so its really smooth. like I said, I'm no expert. the sprays I was talking about are all halfords own brand stuff - if you start mixing different brands you could get a reaction between them.

#7 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:42 PM

800grit to flat the primer, 1200 used lightly for the colour.

Mark,... try searching for the answer to your question using the search function on the site., almost all paint questions at some point have been answered and i'm pretty sure you'll find lots of useful information :)
search for 'Prep' and you'll be astounded by the amount results :xxx:

Edited by Retro_10s, 26 November 2006 - 10:42 PM.

#8 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:16 PM

800grit to flat the primer, 1200 used lightly for the colour.

Mark,... try searching for the answer to your question using the search function on the site., almost all paint questions at some point have been answered and i'm pretty sure you'll find lots of useful information :)
search for 'Prep' and you'll be astounded by the amount results :-

Okie dokie. :)

#9 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:46 PM

i just nitromors'ed mine (just brush it on, leave and hour and then scrape/wire brush off.. although you will need 2 or 3 goes at it to get it really stripped). then normal halfords primer and car paint. Its come up quite nice....

#10 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:55 PM

i just nitromors'ed mine (just brush it on, leave and hour and then scrape/wire brush off.. although you will need 2 or 3 goes at it to get it really stripped). then normal halfords primer and car paint. Its come up quite nice....

Car paint ? i thought it would peal off after a sort time.
Wouldnt hemmerite spray be better or not ?

This is mine. looks worse in person.
Its steal

Attached Files

Edited by Mark1275GT, 26 November 2006 - 11:57 PM.

#11 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:59 PM

no idea! lol. I haven't ran it even for a short time! Hammerite would defiately be more durable, but the point of the post anyway was more the nitromors thing.....

#12 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:13 AM

thats not a steel cover, its a mg style ally one isn't it?

#13 metro1275

metro1275

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:31 AM

thats some crazy steel if it is :-

#14 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:41 AM

thats some crazy steel if it is :)

Well that what i was told. lol
On the left of the rocker cover, it has had a pipe welded onto it, which is for the Catch can. didnt think things could be welded to ally. guess not lol
Anyway.
It has alot of black spots on it, which is hard to get off. so i guess ill have to spray it.. well try anyway.
First time :-

#15 Demelza

Demelza

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:27 AM

Spaying the rocker cover

Poor Rocker Cover... :-

1 user(s) are reading this topic