#1 jam2005

jam2005

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:16 AM

I now have a HS4 carb and standard air filter fitted in my mayfair. Im wanting to get a K&N tapered air filter to start to help make up a stage 1 kit. Which carb (HS4 or HIF38) would I get the best performance out of and which K&N filter (Pancake, Tapered) should I use? I here that the HIF38 carbs with a tapered K&N air filter is best, but will this suit my mini? Please help. jam2004! :grin:

Pik of a HIF38 carb with pancake style K&N air filter and water heated inlet manifold posted.

#2 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:21 AM

depends on the size of your engine, if you've only got a 1000 or smaller i'd go for the hs4 with cone shaped k&n, (my carb has an AAA needle fitted on a 998 engine), and maybe a differant needle. you could use the HIF38 on the smaller engine also, but the larger engines, I would say yes use the HIF44, again with a cone filter. :wales:

#3 jam2005

jam2005

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:38 AM

It's a 998cc! :erm: Wots the best needle to use n-all?

#4 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 26 August 2004 - 08:20 PM

HIF carbs are later carbs and use a bi-metalic strip so work better at different tempretures. On a 998 i would use a HIF38, the 44 would just be too big unless the rest of the enge was modified. Filter wise the taped cones have more surface area than the pancake so i would go for these... as for needle it take it to the local rolling road to have it set up and get them to machine you one

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 08:04 AM

I agree, definitely the HIF38. It is the same size as the HS4 anyway just a more modern improved design. The cone filter will flow more air than the pancake but you might get some icing issues with it due to that. Cone for ultimate power and induction noise, pancake for less roar and still good, usable road power.

#6 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 27 August 2004 - 07:48 PM

Go with the smaller carb for a 998. I spoke to my mate who works at the rolling raod and he says the oval pancake filters are better than the round pancakes and the cones for air flow into the carb.
What does HS stand for? I know the IF bit of HIF stands for 'Internal Float' Anyone know the other??

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 07:37 AM

HS Horizontal, Side float chamber

HIF Horizontal Integral Float chamber

And I think KIF is for K-series Integral Float, 'because it was only fitted to the K-series Metro AFAIK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users