1446 replies to this topic

#31 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:18 PM

Wicked choice Matt!! I still regret not finishing that Thirty off the way I really wanted it. I reckon it looks better than my current Mk1 but then thats not finished yet. Yours looks a great car as it is mate but it would definatly look better on 10's lol.

#32 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:19 PM

Thanks Brett, yeah I am happy with it. I am going to sort the tax out tomorrow lunch time, then it's play time! :wub:

Still have to decide what to sell, keep, swap etc. One thing I am a bit worried about is modifying the remote change tunnel for the rod change box (don't even know if I do have to mod it to be honest, not looked yet).

I thought it had an MG Metro engine in it, but it turns out to be an A series 1275, so I am guessing it's a GT one? Don't know for definite, will have a proper look tomorrow.

#33 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:35 PM

I cant see it being a major problem changing it from remote to rod. Its a shame you cant retain the remote box to keep its originality. Looks wicked though mate. Is it a Mk2?

#34 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:31 AM

I cant see it being a major problem changing it from remote to rod. Its a shame you cant retain the remote box to keep its originality. Looks wicked though mate. Is it a Mk2?

Nah, it's an early MKIII, with some MKI goodies (grill and moustache etc.) It's just a shame it's fitted with the Sportpack arches and the wings have been cut, I might take them off and see just how much is missing and whether I could fit something like a group 2 arch instead.

Anyway, more piccies, here it is on the way home:

Posted Image

Posted Image

You'll notice my mate flashing his man boobs in the first photo, and in the second photo, you may notice how I forgot to lock the front of the tipper trailer!!! :wub: OOOOPSIES!!!!!

#35 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:00 PM

Well, had a little trouble starting it yesterday after forgetting to use the choke, flattening the battery and so on. Took today off to do some xmas shopping (yeah right, spent all morning driving around in the mini) :angel:

Anyways, I have had to clean the rotor arm and set the points gap because the sparks were a bit shabby. I've got a few things in my mind now that need sorting out:

Bodywork:
Generally, tidy it up, but the bodyshell is really solid. The two front doors are a bit grotty, so I am gonna use the two that I bought from 'theminidoorcompany' for project shed.

Fit my CF bootskin as the GRP bootlid that is fitted aint the best of fits.

Fit CF bonnet as the GRP one that's fitted currently is a bit crazed and looks poops, this will also mean I have to decide on whether to retain the two front bonnet straps (which actually sorta work as a hinge so the bonnet can open forwards if I want it to). I am thinking that it moves round a little too much with them on though, so I might either fit a quick release hinge at the front, or just have a normal pair of pins.

Exhaust/gearchange tunnel, hmmm, this is a biggy. I need to convert to rod change really, as I have an A+ Guessworks SCCR box waiting to be used, but it is rod change and the car is remote. This either means cutting the tunnel out of this car and fitting in a second hand rod change tunnel, or relocating the whole gearchange unit inside the vehicle, with a couple of UJ's and a slot at the front (like the racers do).

Engine/box:
Well, the current engine aint an MG as I first thought/was told, it's an A-series from (I guess) a 1275 GT or similar. I am tempted to pop the head off and measure the bore/stroke as it feels pretty darn quick to be standard. My guess is that it's had a rebore at some point in it's long life. The engine and box will then either be sold as a complete unit or be kept in storage for future fun! :w00t:

The beasty engine that I had built for project shed will then be put in its place. Spec is long, but I've talked about it enough times! :D I am aiming/hoping to break the 100 donkey mark, but as long as it's nice and torquey, I aint too fussed about the final figures.

Wheels/tyres:
As I have driven around a bit on the 13 x 7s I am not too happy with the feel of the car, I am now looking at my options for 10" wheels and am seriously considering something along the lines of MB splitties, or maybe the 6 x 10's that I posted earlier (Minilite syle). The MG Metro hubs, 4 pot calipers and brakes will probably at some point be replaced for mini hubs, fitted with alloy 4 pots and 7.9" discs, depending on what will fit under the chosen wheels.

Interior:

Was going to fit my Cobra Classics and my charcoal dash with magnolia gauges, but I am now thinking of keeping a big centre clock and moving it further into the cabin, as I will have to accomodate the bulkhead box for the Weber carb. I am thinking of making a flat stainless steel or alloy dash at work, with a basic set of gauges. I need to look at some historical cars really, so it's all in keeping with the age of the vehicle. I have also gotta fit a heater in there (got a complete unit ready to go, just needs fitting).

All of that lot probably means that I will have a LOAD of stuff to sell/swap. So far the list of things to go is:

2 sets of 7 x 13 Superlites with good tyres
1 pair of Corbeau Forza 2000 seats in very good condition
1 fully fitted up charcoal wooden dash (3+3, fitted with late 90's magnolia Cooper gauges)
1 Moss Stainless steel DTM back box and centre pipe (probably going to be loud)
1 single box exhaust system (not sure of make, but looks/sounds OK)
Set of interior handles (usual ebay chromey set)
1275 (rebored??) engine and remote box, fitted with MG Metro head (unleaded apparently)
Mountney 11" wheel and boss
Black carpet set (Minisport type)
Good built up rear subby (including brakes),
Pair front GAZ adjustables,
Pair rear Spax adjustables,
Two front subby's (single tower bolt type),
MKI bonnet (GRP, needs work),
MKIII Bonnet CF exposed weave,
New door seals (unfitted)
MKI grill/surround which has seen better days, but may polish up somehow,
GRP MKIII bootskin,

I think that's it, apart from a couple of engines and boxes that I think I have somewhere :gimme:

Oh, there'll be a pair of doors too, there is also a pair of brand new skins to go with them.

My plan is to drive it as it is until Xmas and then take it off the road whilst I am off work (two weeks) and get as much done then. I will have to put some adverts up when it is all taken off the vehicle.

#36 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:26 PM

could the dodgy handling be the metro hubs and not the 13 inch wheels ? :D

#37 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:10 PM

Two things:

what is a "plab" :D :gimme:

and also i think you should just do the internal gear change mod

oh yeah and get some 10 inch splits

#38 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:46 PM

could the dodgy handling be the metro hubs and not the 13 inch wheels ? :dontgetit:

Well, I think it may be. I have a spare couple of sets of standard hubs, which I might modify to fit the Metro 4 pots and vented disks on. Then again, if I am going to drop to 10s I might as well biuld those hubs up, replace the bearings, then slap em straight on the car when it's alloy 4 pot time! :angel:

Two things:

what is a "plab" :D :errr:

and also i think you should just do the internal gear change mod

oh yeah and get some 10 inch splits

'Plab'????? Dunno what you mean Matt :gimme:

yeah, internal gear change sounds like the best way ahead. I should be able to get me head around how to do it :w00t:

#39 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:05 PM

nice editing!!! :D

#40 Ollie180

Ollie180

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Local Club: Sasmog.co.uk

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:21 PM

"10" split rims :D "

#41 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:37 PM

Seats me!

#42 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:58 AM

Seats me!

Yeah I know! lol

You've already been told you've got first dibs, have patience my child. I am a slow worker! :D

#43 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:02 PM

Now that the barn/garage is finished:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The mini has a temporary resting place whilst the work is done on the engine/gearbox swap and a few other bits and bobs.

I have started removing some of the interior fittings from the dash, I had also fitted a heater unit in there, but will be removing that tonight, I am going to replace all the standard hoses for silicon ones

So the dash now looks poops!

Posted Image

engine bay is looking a mess too, but that's all about to change! :-

Posted Image

#44 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:52 PM

hurry up!! :-

#45 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:23 PM

hurry up!! :-

I will, I aint gonna let this one sit around for ever and a day! It's gonna be done over the next few weeks....................................... :-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users