654 replies to this topic

#646 shyfd

shyfd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

Might take you up on that. Was going to try total motor care in sandwich and see how they get on.....

#647 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:15 AM

Pm sent

#648 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

I bled my brakes up today with the metro master cylinder fitted up and encountered some problems, because I had connected it up the wrong way. the brake pedal was rock hard but would only travel half way. The rear callipers were locked solid and the fronts were not biting.
It turns out the metro brake m/c is not actually as simple as being an equally split system (despite them being the same bore). It is a primary and secondary system. On a metro the primary system (the bottom outlet) provides fluid to all four corners. The secondary (top outlet) only provides extra fluid to the front callipers. - Which is why metro callipers have two connections! - I had the rears connected to the primary system and the fronts to the secondary, which caused my issues.

You also have to bleed both bottom pairs of pistons of each calliper at the same time, which I haven't done successfully yet.

I have swapped them over, for the time being, I will bleed them and see how they perform. If the secondary system does not cope well for the rears, I will have to connect them all via a four way (as I did when I had the mini m/c) and then the secondary can feed the second connector on the front metro callipers, as it should.

#649 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

With the brakes is there any way you could use a mini brake bias unit? Regards Blue

#650 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:15 AM

No it's not compatable at all in this case, because Mastercylinder is different and its disks not drums at the rear etc. Much better to be able to fine tune the rear brake effort to avoid loosing the rear end under hard braking.

#651 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

Alburglar, have you got any more progress pictures to show us?

#652 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Build looks great dude. Get some more pics up.

#653 ChopperHarris

ChopperHarris

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

Interesting to read this, as I built the car originally and sprayed it Fiat Green. It was featured in Mini World/Mag just after I sold it (I had arranged the photo shoot but decided to let the new owner have the glory) Turned out he was a bit of an arse, I even caught him out at a Mini meet crowing to a crowd about how HE built it. He said when he bought it he wanted to upgrade the motor, shame he seems to have done so and lied to you about the specs.

Good luck with her, I hope he didnt mess with my build quality too much.

#654 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Got any further with your build Al?

Regards Blue

#655 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

Hi folks, I've been busy wih boring excuses (insert: having a baby/ doing up my house/ getting married excuses) but will be cracking on again soon.

Chopper, it was a long time ago now but I do remember him saying he built it, so that's interesting.
Progress to follow soon....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users