23 replies to this topic

#16 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:41 AM

out of experience if you put 8 inch wide wheels on a mini it rubs on the wheel well too lol.

Apparently it does that with 7 inch wide wheels too but i have about a inch clearance on mine...

#17 Marky Tizz

Marky Tizz

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:24 AM

Hi guys,

if I wanted to fit 12x6 wheels, I would obviously do the above on the front, but does any modifications need to be made to the rear?

also, if I wanted to space my 12x5 wheels so they are out right to the edge of the standard arches, does anyone know what size spacer to use?

And how do you use the spacers on the front?

Many thanks

Mark

#18 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

Spacers are generally a bad idea imo. They a just a slab of alloy that slides over the wheel studs before the wheel. If you use large spacers then this requires longer wheel studs to be fitted - Which is just a pain. However you may only need 5mm spacers - Which you mite just get away with but otherwise you'd probably need some long studs.

Really if you want the wide arch look, the only realistic way to do it is with some wide wheels with a large dish.

Even with spacered 12x5 wheels, you might still have to cut the wings since you've pretty much caused the same problem as fitting 13x7 wheels.

You don't need to mod the rear at all.

#19 Massey

Massey

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Local Club: N/A (but looking for one)

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

Im trying to find out if there is any way of having slightly bigger arches with 12 x 6 wheels with out having to cut any of the body??
any ideas thinking about group 5 or 6 apparently sports pack will be too big for 12's

thanks dan

#20 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

Its not the arches its the wheels. What ever arches you have you will still have to cut the bodywork for 12x6 wheels.

#21 camp freddy

camp freddy

Definitely Not Camp Or A Freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:09 PM

If your fitting 13x7 wheels you won't need spacers - Spacers tend to be used with thinner wheels to fill arches.

Yes you will need to cut the arches. Its not so much the diametre of the wheels its the width that causes problems when steering.

I'll draw a diagram and get some pics up to show whats needed

if the wheel offset isn't enough he will need spacers....

#22 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:48 AM

If your fitting 13x7 wheels you won't need spacers - Spacers tend to be used with thinner wheels to fill arches.

Yes you will need to cut the arches. Its not so much the diametre of the wheels its the width that causes problems when steering.

I'll draw a diagram and get some pics up to show whats needed

if the wheel offset isn't enough he will need spacers....

Yeah sorry. I'm just assuming when people fit 13x7s they'll be deep dish...

#23 Massey

Massey

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Local Club: N/A (but looking for one)

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:32 PM

Its not the arches its the wheels. What ever arches you have you will still have to cut the bodywork for 12x6 wheels.

so whats the biggest size with out having to cut the arch width wize...

if i had 10 by 5 or 10 by 6 would this help
but really im looking too not cut the body :lol: i think 12 by 5 or 5.5 is enough? to get away with it surely?

#24 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:21 AM

Anything wider than standard may require some work. Sometimes even 5.5" wheels with different profile tyres rub the wings!

But really when you consider the amount of minis you see with wider wheels - It just shows how little effort it takes to trim the wing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users