mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:20 PM

Hi All
For my Mk1 Cooper, I have just had the grill panel plug welded to the bonnet catch panel, as some of the spotwelds came apert. the surfaces are now ready for priming and painting. (I will first however use paint prep to clean the surfaces thoroughly.

The surfaces have been runned down so than there are some painted areas still present, but this has been feathered in to the bare steel surfaces.

My question is about primers. What is the best type of primer to use on the bare steel? I already have self etch primer in aerosol, but do you recommend I use an alternative like red oxide, or zinc primer?

Thanks

#2 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 23 December 2006 - 01:16 PM

Hi All
For my Mk1 Cooper, I have just had the grill panel plug welded to the bonnet catch panel, as some of the spotwelds came apert. the surfaces are now ready for priming and painting. (I will first however use paint prep to clean the surfaces thoroughly.

The surfaces have been runned down so than there are some painted areas still present, but this has been feathered in to the bare steel surfaces.

My question is about primers. What is the best type of primer to use on the bare steel? I already have self etch primer in aerosol, but do you recommend I use an alternative like red oxide, or zinc primer?

Thanks

Nah mate, just use the etch, then go over it with 2k (2 pack) primer. This is what is done in the trade and it is perfectly sufficient. You don't want to cover it with too many different types of primers as this makes chemical reaction more likely. When you spray the etch, dust it on very thinly. You don't need full coats, this will more than likely cause reactions on the feathered edges, plus it will take forever to dry.

#3 kirk

kirk

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:09 PM

etch primer it
then use green ti primer i say
then dust on some black
wet flat it back and u will see if its perfect or not

#4 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:28 PM

Hi, I have now finished the grill panel, all painted. After the plu welding was done, I spent ages between Xmas day and N year preparing the surfaces, priming, flatting etc, and then the colour paint added as shown.

I will wait for a couple of weeks before I feather in the edges to the rest of the paint, with some 1200 Wet or Dry and T-Cut, then assemble the bonnet latch mechanism back in position.

I am well pleased the way its turned out, the paint finish has a smooth and high lustre.

For the coatings, my first coat was Hammerite Rust beater,then primers, and lastly the colour top coats.

Thanks for your help

Edited by mk=john, 05 January 2007 - 11:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users