4 replies to this topic

#1 mikerigg

mikerigg

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 09:15 AM

I'm about to fit a new grill to my mini and want to use some quick release nuts which I have. I want to make sure that the grill looks good and all is lined up. I've offered it up and it looks like when the grille's as high as possible on the car, the front edge of the bonnet when fatened is still higher - so the shape of the whole grill isn't right.

Any tips for;

a). adjusting the bonnet to bring it lower to match up with the rest of the grill better.

b). choosing the points to drill the holes for the quick relase studs on the front of the car.

thanks

Mike

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 September 2004 - 03:30 PM

I may be a simple as screwing what's called the "dog's knob" ( sorry ! :saywhat: )
up to bring the level of the bonnet down when closed...

by the way.. the DN is this bit....

Posted Image

You'll find it has a slot for a screwdriver in the end...

#3 mikerigg

mikerigg

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 03:53 PM

Great - I didn't realise it was adjustable! I'll try it an see if I can drop the front edge of the bonnet the 1/2 inch or so it needs (it's a new bonnet so maybe it's never been right).

thanks

#4 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 05:09 PM

You have to slacken the lock nut before you can wind the plunger up or down ,the locknut is inside the spring at the top of theplunger ,be carefull not to wind it in too far as it will be difficult to release , wind it up a bit at a time ,best to do this with the grill off so if it jams it is easier to release .

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 06:47 PM

If you wind the bonnet down enough to bring the trim in line then you will probably find an ugly panel fit at the top and sides along the gutters. These trims have never lined up totally, especially on later bonnets. You can put packing washers behind the trim strip when srewing it on to move it down the bonnet slightly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users