#1 xchickyx

xchickyx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:57 PM

Easy job... or hella hard job?

I would like to spray my mini black, i've sprayed many push bikes in my time by simply layering over the previous paint with no problem.

But im guessing its not this simply with a car, is it possible to just tape up all the bits you dont want sprayed (window seals etc) and then spray over the panels (bearing in mind im looking to spray the mini black) or should i look to get someone to do a proper job.

i duno, it would seem fairly strait forward. Feel free to put me down and tell me how much of a fool i sound.

#2 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:18 PM

From what I've heard, black is a very hard colour to paint - as it shows up imperfections more?

I believe it also involves a hell of a lot of time if you want to do it yourself - constant sanding!

It is possible though! Just depends on your circumstances, whether you can dedicate the time to do it...

Check out Retro_10's project! He's roller painted his and it's top job!! :X

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:55 AM

cheers bean!

Black is no more difficult to spray than anyother colour, however,.... the prep is more vital than ever, it has to be perfect

Black shows up all imperfections and reflects waves and bumps if there are any, so you have to be 100% sure about the quality of your prep before commiting to the spray gun.

In general, prep should always be perfect, there's no point skimping on it, as the quality of the prepwork is a direct sign of how well your topcoat will look. If you aint happy, Keep going till you are. On lighter colours like white and light yellows etc you can 'get away' with more imperfections as they get lost in the reflections etc.

#4 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:22 PM

With a respray it would be better to get it profesionaly preped and spray it yourself than the other way round

#5 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:33 PM

I agree! certainly with black!

#6 xchickyx

xchickyx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:10 AM

Ok, i read a lot of posts about sanding and filling etc. If my cars paint job is mint as it is (or near enough anyway) is it not as simple as spraying over the previous paintwork with another colour?

And if black really is a hard color to spray it, can anyone suggest other colors which are easier. Its a really bright white at the moment, would rather it were cream :)

#7 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:15 AM

if it's near enough mint, just wet sand the paint with 600-800 grit wet 'n' dry used wet. then you're ready for primer!! and then whack the black on!

#8 xchickyx

xchickyx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:38 AM

Do you spray the primer strait on then, after you've sanded it down a bit? And how much will it cost to get enough paint and primer for the entire car?

And honestly, is it worth it? For a novice who's only ever sprayed push bikes (badly) before to take up the job of spraying an entire car? I'd be well up for doing it but i just don't want to make a rats arse of it.

#9 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:55 AM

Do you spray the primer strait on then, after you've sanded it down a bit? And how much will it cost to get enough paint and primer for the entire car?

And honestly, is it worth it? For a novice who's only ever sprayed push bikes (badly) before to take up the job of spraying an entire car? I'd be well up for doing it but i just don't want to make a rats arse of it.

if your not sure mate, then why not do just the roof or something to start with?

there was an article on doing this in miniworld a while back, with spray cans. 3 cans were needed for the roof. 1 can of primer.

basically each coat was done and then wet sanded with progressively finer grades.

rub the whole lot down first, then primer, then the first coat of black make sure you only dust the roof, then next coat you can lay a nice thin coat on.

remember, lots of thin coats = good.

thick coats = *******

then compounded once the paint had hardened.

masking the roof off is easy too.

also, consider the weather conditions this time of year if you dont have a good place to spray. moisture is not good at all.

Edited by stef, 10 January 2007 - 01:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users