#1 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:32 PM

Hi, I have just purchased a stainless steel replacement for the trim part which covers the RH door pillar seam weld. I took the old one off, because the bottom half came undone. I did however make sure the seam weld is sealed up and added new paint in this area. Some of the seam, especially the lower half, is tapered in cross section, not flat as it should be.

Replacing the stainless one can be with new trim clips, but I have found these difficult to use (as the seams are a bit tapered in cross section) for a bulge not to appear in the trim. The other method could be that I attatch the trim in 3 places with silicon and leave it at that.
I am aware however than silicon can trap moisture, but since I am having trouble using the clips i thought of the silicon idea.

Any ideas?

Thanks

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:39 PM

Is One clip at the top and one at the bottom not strong enough? not sure of a real way around this.... and i definatly wouldn't to the silicone idea

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:40 PM

I suppose you *could* put silicone at the top,.... so any water can drip out the bottom.

#4 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Local Club: ERC / SMOA

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:40 PM

those original seam clips also scratch the heck out of the paint where they clip on leading to rust underneath the seam cover..... the guy around here that does mini restos uses window uerathane on the whole seam and then puts the cover on.... that way yuo get it sealed completely inside and it won't rust or fall off..... but if you ever have to take it off your up the creek.... i don't really agree with the way he does it and the only reason i know he does it like that is cause i restored a mini at work for him and he insisted we used urethane to hold it on..... as for your situation you are making it sound as though there are only three clips that hold the seams on..... any original seam i've taken off has had at least 5.

Al

#5 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:14 PM

Hi All
I tested RTV silicon sealant, and mechanically it will certainly hole the seam on very well, if `tacked' with the silicon at top, middle and bottom. I tested also removing it when tacked like this and it was not difficult, no panels were stressed or anything like that.

The problem with this is water being trapped.

The probklem I have is not the clips holdong onto the seam, bit the trim holding onto the clips.

What i might consider is this:
1) Apply Waxoyl over the entire seam, all over so everywhere is covered.
2) Put 5 clips (I have the Stainless Steel ones) on the seam itself.
3) Apply a very small amount of silicon to each of the 5 clips
4) Lastly, put on the seam trim (The seam trim is stainless)

Does anyone heve views on this?

Thanks

#6 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:21 PM

I have just put mine on i used the five clips and a beading of white seam sealer inside. my car is white tho

#7 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:27 PM

Seam Sealer? What is that? Can it act as an adhesive to hold on my seam in a few places?

#8 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:33 PM

Seam sealer its like silicone but sets harder and you can paint it. most modern cars are held together with it.
you can get it at any paint/body shop supplies

#9 keithyboy

keithyboy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:41 AM

Silicone sealant will wreak havoc if you ever try to paint areas it has been near.

The clown who owned my car before me glued them on with glass fibre paste. He silled the trim with the stuff and whacked it on. Unfortunately it meant the the only way to get them off was with the grinder. However, a small amount top and bottom, or something like Araldite should work.

#10 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:47 PM

This is the best way to do it in my humble opinion, Brush or spray waxoyl or similiar sealant ( try and get Wurth aerosol wax, it is AWESOME) inside the seams and over the seam lip, don't be shy with the stuff. Fit the seam strip with 5 stainless clips, putting them in the strip itself and then push it on, tapping very lightly with a rubber hammer til its secure. You want to see sealant dripping out of the edges! just wipe it up and you know its well sealed. DON'T USE SILICONE! that stuff is evil on cars. Get it any where near your paint, and you will have difficulty painting the car in the future without it reacting somewhere. If you MUST use sealant, use seam sealer, but only in small areas, don't stuff the strip with it or you will need a pneumatic drill to remove it again! :)

#11 DannyTip

DannyTip

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Local Club: A Series Magpies

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

I used about 5 or so double grippers on mine and plenty of wurth bond and seal to keep the water out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users