Photo
- - - - -

Are 7,9 inch grooved discs and 4 pot calipers enough?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Renessy

Renessy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Local Club: minisevenclub Holland

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:48 PM

Hi,

Question…… I’ve bought new brakes from mini sport. Vented and grooved 7,9 inch with 4 pot calipers. Today I had a conversation with a blocke that said that these brakes wouldn’t be enough to stop the Vtec I’m building! That they would fade and wouldn’t be enough. What are you guys having brake wise??? And do you agree with him or are the 7,9 inches good enough to stop the mini????? Arch!!!! ;)

René

#2 Renessy

Renessy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:53 PM

Ps. Using steal brakelines too...... If it makes a difference.....

René

#3 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:58 PM

What size wheels are you using?

#4 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:45 PM

Hi,

Question…… I’ve bought new brakes from mini sport. Vented and grooved 7,9 inch with 4 pot calipers. Today I had a conversation with a blocke that said that these brakes wouldn’t be enough to stop the Vtec I’m building! That they would fade and wouldn’t be enough. What are you guys having brake wise??? And do you agree with him or are the 7,9 inches good enough to stop the mini????? Arch!!!! ;)

René

Hi In my opinion the 8.4 setup is not enough really for a bike installation which is lighter than a vtec, solid or vented doesnt make any difference to the amount of brake power, it just means they cool faster and will work for a longer period before overheating, i cant see the reason for you running 7.9's as you cant fit 12" wheels on the z-cars frame, let alone 10's which is what the 7.9's were designed for? price wise they work out the same when buying KAD or minisport 4 pot conversions as they generally use the same caliper. Hence the reason Chris is selling an uprated brake kits to compliment the conversions, you would probably be ok on the road but dont expect it to stop as fast as it goes which is what most cars are designed to do, yours will be quicker getting to 100 than stopping from it!!Posted Image

Cheers

#5 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:36 PM

Also depends how light the car is of course!! ;) :)

#6 Renessy

Renessy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:32 PM

I'm going to run on 13 inch chrome wheels so 7,9 inch brakes can easely be fitted. (They use 7,4 inch brakes for 10 inch wheels, Mark)

So all you guys are running on 8,4 inch brakes then?????

The weight of the car will be a slight heavier than the bike conversion I think.... Maybe 650 kg????

Think I'll be running more on the road than on the track, but a track day must be possible....

Still need to be convinced for bigger brakes.....

René

#7 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:39 PM

if you have 13's go for the biggest brake that will fit.

7.9" fit inside 10's

i think you can go bigger than 8.4 even

#8 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:50 AM

10 1/4" disc are the biggest that will go under a 13" wheel generally but some people have managed to squeeze 280mm or 10 3/4" with special caliper and certain wheel designs, expect to pay around £700 upwards for a decent brake conversion.

Cheers

#9 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:02 AM

I think theres a few people on the 16V site who run 8.4" brakes. I'm going to be running my Vtec on 8.4s under 10" wheels (you can do this if you have 10" split rims). Personally I think they should be fine. I know Sheepo's KAD 16Ver uses KAD 4 pots, on (I think) vented and cross drilled discs, and I never heard about him complaining or needing to upgrade, and that engine I believe is putting out the same sort of power and torque as a standard Vtec. If I was you I would get a 8.4" brake setup, buy some QUALITY pads and discs suitable for the type of driving your going to be mainly doing, and you should be fine. Even if you find the fade a bit, it will only be under track driving conditions, in which case you can just retire to the pits for a few minutes to let them cool down!

Just an FYI. There were no 7.4" brake setups. Cooper had 7", which are frankly rubbish. Cooper S had 7.5" which are very good and fit under ALL 10" wheels. You can get 8.4" discs turned down to 7.9" and get some special alloy calipers to fit under most 10" wheels. Standard disc brakes on all models from 1984 (in the UK at least) are 8.4".

One question: Is this a Z Cars Vtec kit?

#10 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:45 AM

Ive got 7.5" minispares 4 pot alloy calipers. ;)

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:01 AM

But then your engine only puts out a grandma-ish 100bhp doesn't it?! ;) :)

#12 Renessy

Renessy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:33 PM

Ok, I've cancelled the order. Im going to look for bigger brakes. This is something I do not want save on. Might save your life if you know what I mean. How much was the upgrade kit from Chris? He used the Willwood brakes right?

Anyway, if anybody had a good set up, let me know.

@Jammy, This is for a Vtec conversion yes......

Thanks guys!

René

#13 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:39 PM

But then your engine only puts out a grandma-ish 100bhp doesn't it?! :) :proud:

Only until i start doing stuff to the engine ;) (might aim 200whp, but depends what less feels like in the car :proud: )

#14 Renessy

Renessy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:43 PM

If you're aim is 200 bhp, you might want to concider bigger brakes...... ;)

René

#15 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:45 PM

This might intrest you...

Brakes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users