Photo
- - - - -

Are 7,9 inch grooved discs and 4 pot calipers enough?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:05 PM

But then Id have to change to bigger wheels ;)

#17 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:32 PM

This might intrest you...

Brakes

I was quoted over £1100 for that kit from martin at mra minis

z cars kit is £700 for the 10.5" disc & wilwood 4 pots.

cheers

#18 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:58 PM

Brakes

cheers

I wondered why they don't put the price on their site ;)

#19 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

I think R1mini got his Tarox big disc kit with 6 pot calipers for about £600. He was considering the Z cars but these were cheaper...

#20 minisprint

minisprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Local Club: GR8 minis

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:50 PM

Brakes

cheers

i would recomend getting brakes from martin at mra minis as he really knows his stuff and they come as a full kit of all components needed, i question others "kits" which dont include these items! most rece cars with big stoppers have these mods! so why dont others?martin wont sell them without these items for your own saftey!that must say something!

#21 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:14 PM

I got these from Tarox £599 delivered, hope they are good enough, they should be excellent on a light bike engined mini, they better be

http://www.16vminicl...y...=687&pos=23

I liked the ZCars kit at £710, but the calipers aren't dust sealed that was another £40~50, then the delivery as well, also the Tarox ones can fit under quite a few 12 inch wheels without mods

Cheers
David

#22 Poly_Patje

Poly_Patje

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:52 PM

Hey Rene,

Have not received any mail from you since the end of December. Currently I have the brake kit from Chris laying around and that is the Mini Sport 7.9" grooved disc and 4-pot caliper kit.

Chris convinced me that it would be good to stop the busa powered Mini. It would be a bit harder when the engine have more then 300bhp.

The conversion from MRA Mini's is also very nice. What if you need new discs or pads? Do you have to order them at MRA or do they use commonly used discs? I will contact them to see what they will tell me.

#23 Renessy

Renessy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Local Club: minisevenclub Holland

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:23 PM

Pat,

I wanted to order the 4 pot calipers from minisport too but I found out that they might be not enough to stop the Vtec. As you can read in this topic too. The Vtec will be probably heavier than the Haya and that will also count...... Power is good but you must stop it too, right?!

So now I'm looking for bigger brakes but then you enter a whole different price-age too!

Will let everybody know what I will end up with..... Have sent a mail to KAD but haven't heard anything back yet.... Tar-ox look good to but having problems finding the right kit so I'll mail them to when I have the time. (Hoping to get some more information out of R1 too)

Sorry for the silence over this month Pat but better late then never: Happy new year and I'll mail you soon in order of the progress in the mini...... Although I keep our site up to date cause I have been busy.... [email protected]

Later!

René

#24 Poly_Patje

Poly_Patje

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:11 AM

First of all: best wishes and a happy new year.

I just received mail from MRA. The kit with all standard parts is 1170 gbp and the front subframe must be altered to improve its construction to withstand the heavy braking power.

The Tarox kit looks great. Nice calipers too. I looked at their site and was not able to find the parts for our Mini projects. It would be great if R1 share information about the Tarox kit with all of us.

#25 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:38 AM

For what it's worth I'm running 8.4s with the AP 4 pots and green stuff pads with no servo- all absolutely cheap as chips, and once properly bled and bedded-in the brakes are awesome for a car weighing so little. Certainly for the bike-engined conversions, the only reason I can see for changing to ally calipers may be to reduce unsprung weight, though this would be offset somewhat by the often-used larger diameter discs. Sticking a comparatively huge and heavy V-tec lump in the back is a different matter- get the biggest anchors that'll fit inside your wheels! Also, I reckon some form of bias adjustment would be a handy addition...

#26 Renessy

Renessy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Local Club: minisevenclub Holland

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:22 AM

This is a site on which we share..................................

http://www.16vminish...265f27133319d55

It comes with everything you need, adapters, mounting bolts, everything

Cheers and thanks to David........

René

Edited by Renessy, 13 January 2007 - 01:23 AM.

#27 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:24 AM

Link didn't work for me Rene?
Edit: Does now!

Edited by TOMMO0302, 13 January 2007 - 01:24 AM.

#28 Mini_Arno

Mini_Arno

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:59 PM

WOW!!!

6 pot callipers!! damn.
Thank god there is an engine in the back of your car because otherwise hard braking means a damaged roof. ;)

#29 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:45 PM

the car i took you round zolder in had our 280 mm drilled and vented disc conversion on it we did 362 miles around the track that weekend at race pace and didnt get any fade at all
kit has
discs drilled and vented
alloy mounting bells for discs
wilwood 4 pot calipers in aluminium
alloy mounting brackets for calipers to std uprights
set of pads
aeroquip brake pipes
cost is £725 inc vat
the only reason we made our own was we fitted two of the best known four pot versions to the v tec car and frankly even i was scared
the trouble is that at 100 mph you are still accelarating like crazy and without good brakes the margin for error when hitting the brakes is a lot less than at 80 mph mark rally is right about the importance of brakes he should know being a rally man the brakes need to inspire confidance
i always see the demo passengers going for the brake pedal on our demo runs and most common comment on their return safely to the workshops is about how good the brakes are
say no more
chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users