26 replies to this topic

#1 Willie

Willie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:31 AM

Ok Guy's here's the poop.....I got the new Zcars frt. subby in and seem to only have an inch to inch and a half of travel before it bottoms out....In fact it hit's the tie rods that go from the frt. of the subby to the upper part of the controll arm rigth by the shock cantilever....The shocks still have an inch and a half of travle left in them but can't use it because of this fitment problem.....What's going on here???? It look's like it's together right but you know how Chris is and does'nt send any assembly instructions with it....I'm a bit Pee'ed off....If I'm correct I'm going to have to cut the upper mounting bar where the cantilever pivots and weld in a new one to achieve full shock travel......

Have any of you Guy's ran into this problem ?????? I sure need some help here please....Cheers....Willieeeeeeeeeeeeee..........

#2 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:33 AM

Sorry willie can't help but I can take some pics of mine for comparison if that helps. I should be in the workshop tomorrow.

#3 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:33 AM

Pictures might help? :D

#4 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Local Club: NF500

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:38 AM

Tried posting this in the Zcars section were chris might see it matey?

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:47 AM

Moved. :D

#6 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:29 AM

Willie,
I think I know what you mean, is the frame on the car with wheels set at the height you want to run at? If it is you must be running the car extremly low for to have this problem, when I first got my frame I thought it would hit, but on the car it seems to have plenty of travel.

Where the top arm is, it looks as though it will hit the curved section of the tube frame and it does when it's off the car, but once fitted, set at a reasonable ride height, the wheel could go up 3 inches before the top arm hits, for people who want to run as low as possible it could hit, looking at my frame there is nothing to stop the top tube being 25mm higher up

Cheers
David

Edited by R1mini, 30 May 2010 - 04:21 PM.

#7 Willie

Willie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:40 AM

Thanks Guys....Your all a great help....Dave...Ya know ya might be on to something here....I do have 10's on er right now....I'm going to take some pic's and through some 175-50-13's on er later today and see if this helps er out....25mm upward would surely help er out as well.....

Again ,,,Thank You all for your help....Like I allways say 10 heads are better then 1.......
Cheers....Willieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.........

#8 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:57 PM

that frame is different again from the 1 that V8mini got for his car!! how many front subframes do they make?

#9 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:02 PM

The rear rollcage/frame seems to be fairly consistant, but the front frame seems to change on a regular basis

Cheers
David

#10 BUDSY

BUDSY

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:31 PM

here's mine

Attached Files

#11 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:54 PM

willie
once its on the car then you will find that they clear ok when set at a reasonable ride height the shock has more trael than it needs to but wont bottom out on the frame
we have changed the design due to working out that to adjust the shocks for ride height and damping required the owner to lay underneath to do it because the fuel tank ran close to the shocks
we run them on top of the bars now to make it easier to adjust
we wont be altering them any more trust me it just made more sense to do it the way we do now
chris

#12 adyzr1

adyzr1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:11 PM

The great thing about Z cars , ALWAYS IMPROVING THINGS! :gimme:

ive built a few kit cars most of them have the attitude "aah that'll do", people are left with the same problems for years ! :crazy:

Edited by adyzr1, 16 January 2007 - 07:11 PM.

#13 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:38 PM

i keep telling the wife she ought to improve just like we do with the cars
funny thing is she doesnt hear me when i say it.................strange things women not like cars
chris

#14 Willie

Willie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 12:42 AM

Chris...When I bolted my 175-50-13's on the front they hit the cantilever pivot bolt...I've got er set at a resonable ride height and still have problems....The only solution I see is to move the upper bar up some....And even the bottom A-arm pivot point's that attach to the subby should be move on the bottom part of the subby to lessen bump steer affect...The frt. hime joint on the tie rodneeded to be repositioned to get the full travel and use out of the joint....The way it was makes it bind....It's alot of fabrication to be done here to make it all come together.....I'm a little disappointed in it all to say the least.....

No hard feeling's here just a bit of scratching my head and wondering why and is it made this way for some reason I don't know about...

I'll call ya Monday to hash this around a bit...........Willieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..............

#15 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 12:20 PM

Willie,
Have you any pictures of your problem and also what is the sill edge height at the front, always easier with a few pictures

Cheers
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users