#1 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:56 AM

When working on minis, you find there are many occasions when a special or adapted tool is useful

Over time I have created a few with the bits which I've had lying around the garage, more out of necessity than desire.... So here are some...

1st motion shaft puller

The first is the one which has saved me probably the most time and is used to extract the 1st motion shaft and bearing from the gearbox. Without some form of puller this can be a nightmare to deal with.

This particular item is built from an old Diff cage, a spare nut from the end of the 1st motion shaft, a large thrust washer, a long M10 bolt and 2 corresponding nuts and a bit of scrap 2mm steel.

[attachment=26181:P1010044.JPG]

The first object is to join the 1st motion shaft nut and one of the nuts from the bolt together in a cage fashion so when constructed it can be placed over the nose of the first motion shaft. To do this I cut 3 short lengths of the 2mm steel about 25mm long and 10mm wide. Tack welded these onto the 1st motion shaft nut on three opposing faces, then screwed this onto an input shaft. The nut from the bolt was then rested on the top of the shaft and the steel strips bent in to meet with the nut. These were then tacked in place. The formed cage could then be undone and the welding completed. You now have completed the hardest part of building the tool..

[attachment=26180:P1010043.JPG][attachment=26179:P1010041.JPG]

Screw the other nut onto the bolt, place the thrust washer on the end and this is poked through the diff cage ( where the drive shaft use to be ) and screwed onto the built above built cage..

It will work as it is now, but I found over time that welding the thrust washer onto the diff cage helped with stability and also stopped you from loosing the washer :D

[attachment=26182:P1010046.JPG]

To use it, the gearbox must first have been stripped to the point that the input gear has been removed from the shaft, large circlip retaining the single roller bearing has been removed and also the laygear. Screw the adapter cage onto the 1st motion shaft as far as it will go, then offer the diff cage up to the gearbox so that it has good contact on the machine faces around the input gear, thread the bolt with nut and washer already attached through the diff cage and into the adapter as far as it will go.. then wind the bolt in to trap the washer between it and the diff cage.. no using a punch or screwdriver thread that through the side of the diff cage and through the adapter cage to prevent the shaft turning, and then do up the nut ( to the end of the bolt ) to extract the shaft and bearing in one go...

Edited by GuessWorks, 23 January 2007 - 12:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users