#1 GW

GW

Previously Small Bore Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:06 PM

Hi,

I'm about to fit a flip front but will also be replacing the a pannels.

I have a pair of heritage a pannels but would like to know how to go about removing the old ones and fitting the new ones...tried search but didn't bring anything useful up..

Can any one help?

Cheers

#2 minimanclive

minimanclive

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:14 PM

If you cut the old A panels with a grinder up the seam then you can bend the metal out of the way to make easy access to the door hinge nuts. You'll need to take the doors off so that you can get the remains of the A panel off the door pillar. It's quite a rust trap here, so you never know what state it'll be in.
The fiddly bit is cutting away the weld at the top of the A panel near the windscreen pillar.

#3 GW

GW

Previously Small Bore Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:27 PM

I'm expecting the worst to be honest as the drivers side a pannel has a big hole in the top!

Does the a pannel just wrap over the door hinge pannle then?

I'm going to have a few patches ready for doing the fresh air vents etc but will make sure I have some emergancy metal to keep me going!

#4 minimanclive

minimanclive

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:48 PM

The A panel folds over the A post bit, and there may or may not a couple of spot welds there too. Depending on whether it's been replaced in the past properly or not.

#5 Matrix

Matrix

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:12 PM

for the fittind I always shape the folded edge before fitting it on the car then finish it off with a door skinning tool...If you haven't a skinning tool two peices of thin wood about 1" and a set of mole grips but set the gap before you squeeze! and take ya time... tack weld top and bottom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users