#1 moz

moz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:16 AM

any one seen that red mini frame on ebay its not a zcars but still looks good brand new with disks calipers whells shocks and front sub guy said hes got a donor mini with a load of other bits and bobs will try and get a full list.
he wants 36 for the lot is it worth it.
i ask because i havent got a clue as i've never built one.

thanks

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:23 AM

He wants 36 what??

Link may help?

#3 moz

moz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:37 AM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e...p;rd=1&rd=1

or item number 140080696809

he wants £3600

Edited by moz, 06 February 2007 - 11:18 AM.

#4 moz

moz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:10 PM

what 33 peeps looking at this thread but no help .
are you lot trying to buy this your self hmmmmmmmmm i wonder!

#5 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:25 PM

With a topic title "is it worth it" you will find curious people looking.
No one Knows any thing about this frame and it has been on ebay several times . So i guess its not worth it.

#6 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:52 PM

this is a wayne nightingale built kit
it is identical to the one they crashed when first testing
theres a long history with all this basically wayne is a local lad who came to Z cars and had a look around he went away and built a very similar car to ours for himself
the first time he tested it he crashed into a ditch and injured his girlfreind
he repaired the car and eventually sold it to huddersfield mini spares (its the yellow one they had a few months ago i dont know if they still have it)
wayne was encouraged by huddersfield and others to start building kits for minis and left his job,set up a company and went vat registered
he took on a unit at an industrial estate and made a couple of these kits,
they went testing the first kit and after a few runs up and down a quiet road the driver announced that he was going to give it some this time
he got to about 70 mph when for no apparent reason the car shot off the straight piece of road and down an embankment into a tree
the driver hit his head badly and when wayne ran over to him he was unconcious and breathing heavily and intermittantly
wayne couldnt get a signal on his phone to call for help and had to run half a mile to the van he still couldnt get a signal and had to drive away from the scene to get one
eventually he got the ambulance and it arrived
fortunatly the driver survived and has recovered
i had a long talk with wayne about it and did a demo with him in our v tec car in the pouring rain he was gobsmacked at how ours went compared to his version
he was good enough to show me the wreckage of his car and without going too mad looking at it i could see four serious faults with how it had been done,in particular the front end which would cause the car to suddenly veer off in a direction not expected by the driver
wayne was so shaken by the incident and the fact that the two cars he built had both crashed that he stopped building them or thats what he told me
obviously he put a fair bit of time and effort into the process and this frame has survived its either the second one or the one out of the crashed car which he stripped
the project might be worth buying for the donor mini and log book but i would be very wary of buying an unproven kit especially knowing the previous history
i have seen recently two project cars which have left me with a cold shudder up my back
what you must always look at is the whole picture not just that someone has put this or that engine into a mini its very very important that the car works correctly and if it does crash that the passengers are protected as best you can
welding and general fabrication standards on one of the recent kits i saw were appaling and would not pass an mot let alone a big crash
the other thing to consider is the level of experiance of the constructor/designer of these cars on paper they are all the same but experiance would suggest that they are far from that
chris

#7 Puddings

Puddings

Nurburgring Master

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local Club: fabmoc/TMF

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:13 PM

Another case of ‘You got what you pay for’ it’s worth spending that little bit more and getting a proven kit like the Z-Cars one

#8 moz

moz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

Thanks i think i will leave that one alone then.

i wouldnt be looking at kits like that its just that zcars are so much money. you carnt help but look for a cheaper route.
i'm going to phone zcars now and see if they sell there kit (bike) in smaller bits so i can buy one or two pice's at a time.

i've got the bug now ;p)

r1 sounds nice to start then prob step upto the busa

i'll sell my ass if i have to erm well not my ass may be the misis lol

i've put my 3.5 pajero up for sale if you know any one.

thanks again lads

#9 moz

moz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

called zc and they havent got a brake down (parts list prices as yet) hope they post one soon !

guy on the phone said most people do the front end first then the back but still its a lot to lay out in one go!

#10 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:53 PM

without going too mad looking at it i could see four serious faults with how it had been done,in particular the front end which would cause the car to suddenly veer off in a direction not expected by the driver

Can you elaborate a bit, I'm very curious and I'm sure other people are too?

#11 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:05 PM

i could see four serious faults with how it had been done,in particular the front end which would cause the car to suddenly veer off in a direction not expected by the driver

Would you tell us what those faults were? :(

#12 moz

moz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:25 PM

He wants 36 what??

Link may help?

not 36 acorns thats for sure lol

#13 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:33 PM

i could expand on what i saw but you dont see ferrari telling mclaren what they are up to
we had to serve our apprenticeship over the years by building the cars and developing them to the stage they are now and we are still modifying little things to try and improve the product
you also have to look at the fact we have put the time and effort into doing things like the dvd so you can build the car yourself and the front subframe to improve the cars ride and handling
chris

#14 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:35 AM

Its like a boat in water or those big American cars that rock to the left and right as you rev them, equal and opposite force that's what i say. I just don't like the design.

#15 USA-Fin

USA-Fin

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

Its like a boat in water or those big American cars that rock to the left and right as you rev them, equal and opposite force that's what i say. I just don't like the design.

And all this time I thought I had a broken motor mount! :crazy: :wub:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users