6 replies to this topic

#1 Cheese

Cheese

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 01:02 PM

When i start my car up i get a load of white smoke coming from the exhaust, its not normally that bad if ive driven it alot, but i came back from uni this week and hadnt driven it for a few weeks, the amount of smoke was shocking!!!

Anyone else had a problem with smoke when they turn their car over? or know how i can sort it?

#2 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 01:14 PM

:cry: white smoke, thats water, and that can only mean 1 thing, HEADGASKET GONE. :gasp:

but they are easy to do and can be done in a few hours.

you will need a torque wrench and know the correct sequence for loosening and re-torquing the head bolts
:wales:

#3 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 01:28 PM

ohhhhhhhhh thats why we get white smoke when we start our up!! DAM IT! :cry: :cry:

ps: when we start our sup it smells oily though

#4 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 02 October 2004 - 04:41 PM

if it hasnt been driven for a while chances are that water vapour in the air has built up in the exhaust system and its juts evaporated. if it does it after a long drive still when the engine has be on for a hwile then chances are if its smoking at idle then its the head gasket... if so look for mayonese in the water

#5 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 07:45 PM

as above also are you loosing any coolant, does it need to be topped up regularlly

#6 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 08:38 AM

im not loosing any coolant, if we drive it and she goes in the garage for a day or 2 then it will smoke, it depends if its a hot day or not! strangely enough it didnt do it during summer but before and now it did/does. hm...

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:11 AM

Are you sure it is white not blue? Sound more like valve guides to me if it only happens after the car has been standing. For coolant to leak out of the system into the cylinders while it is switched off and under no pressure the head gasket would have to be properly gone rather than just leaking. And then it would have lost all the coolant in the head while standing which is more than enough to hydraulic the engine.

Either way you need to pull the head to find out for sure and fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users