#1 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Local Club: anglian mini club

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:04 AM

hi everyone im new to this forum but been readig for a few weeks and just hoping someone can answer a couple of questions i have regarding mini injection parts.
I have a 1994 spi mini cooper with an ecu part number mne 101070 (one plug) and have just purchased cheeply an ecu from a crashed equinox part number mne 101150 also one plug thinking that it would make a good spare and that in the event of a problem i could just plug it in to my car and use it?
I dont use the current alarm as it is the older single button remote 3as system but i have also got the 5as system from the equinox can this be used individuly or do you have to keep the alarm and ecu together?
One more can i replace the front section of my loom from the bulkhead mounted plug forwards with the equinox one for no other reason other than it has the better fuse box with blade fuses?

#2 chairchild

chairchild

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:30 PM

can you use the spare ECU? - Yes

Can you use the alarm without the ECU? - No idea, as mine didnt have a standard alarm

Can you swap the front section of the loom straight over? - Yes, as long as the other one's an SPI obviously

#3 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:58 PM

:(

#4 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:11 PM

Sorry :(

The 101070 is an uncoded ECU for the Cooper engine. The 101150 is a coded ECU for the non Cooper engine.

You can use the non coded Cooper ECU (your original) on a coded car. Using a Coded ECU (the one you bought) on a non coded car (the car you have) will prevent the engine from starting. That is unless you fit the matched code alarm ECU.

Not only that but if using the Non copper ECU on a Cooper engine, you will suffer a loss of performance. Why would you want to?

If you're looking for a replacement/spare buy the right one. You have the number, if it dont match, it can get unnescisaraly comlicated and expensive.

As for the wiring loom, it all depends if Rover did not alter the loom much, I suspect however they did. I advise you to check the wiring diagrams. There may be more modern connectors on the later loom as well.

Edited by Mini Sprocket, 14 February 2007 - 08:14 PM.

#5 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Local Club: anglian mini club

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:15 PM

thanks for the info i was going to ask what the difference was beetween all the ecu rover used i thought all spi where the same bhp (63)despite coopers supposedly being the sporty ones .so i can keep the spare ecu as long as i use the matching alarm ecu (which i have), will the later 5as ecu fit directly in place of the earlier 3as ecu or are the plugs different ?i dont currentl use the alarm at all and havent for about 3 years and had no problems.didnt cost much for all of this anyway and some of the bits alone are worth what i paid so not the end of the world!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users