12 replies to this topic

#1 Alex1380

Alex1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:29 PM

hi, just bought some grill buttons because im fedup of unscrewing the thing, but i don't see how they work?
anyone tell me how they go on?

#2 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:42 PM

I don't think that they do anything, purely cosmetic.

#3 Alex1380

Alex1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 07:43 PM

well mine will. just got to a way.

#4 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:42 PM

Grill buttons are to enable you to quickly remove the grill.

With the grill still fitted carefully drill a hole through the grill (between) the slats into the front panel supports (the 2 bars that go from top to bottom) remove the grill and the drill all the way through. then fit the 2 nuts and bolts to the support. then refit the grill using the buttons to secure it.

Siggy

#5 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 October 2004 - 11:52 PM

They are installed exactly as Siggy said, and they are extremely helpful when you want quick, easy access to your distributor or oil filter on the original A-series with inner wing mounted radiator.

I prefer the "older" style that I have to those available now. Mine have extended "stems" on the back side of the buttons. These stems go between the grille slats and push the flat grille panel against the car's front panel. The newer style grill buttons use a rubber washer on the back side of the grille button... and this pushes on the grille slats themselves.

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:01 PM

I have the alternative, cheap-skate, version...

Two 1.5 inch pozi-drive screws ( wood screws basically ) through the grill into the front valance ( about where you would put the buttons )... does exactly the same thing and also has the bonus that the screws fit between the slats so you cant actually see them... ( just got to remeber to have a philips screw driver handy )

#7 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:23 PM

Nothing wrong with the pozi-drive screw method. However, it would be kinder to your car if you could use a Tinnerman nut instead of having the screw go directly into the front panel. I don't know what you call Tinnerman nuts in the U.K., but these are the stamped metal nuts often bent into shapes like the letter "U" or "J" to go over sheet metal edges.

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:39 PM

I think you are talking about spire nuts. Like the ones used to hold the front of the heater to the dash rail.

You can still get the buttons with the stand-off built in from some places. They are quite similar to the roker cover buttons, but I think the stud size is different.

#9 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:04 PM

"Spire Nuts"... that sounds good. Yes, like the ones used to hold the heater to the dash rail.

You are correct. The stand-off grille buttons that I have use a 5/16-24 stud while the more current products I've seen use 1/4-28 studs.

#10 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:25 PM

Ah I know what you mean.. yeah, would spread the load, however I only do them up enough to hold it in place and used the same screws for two years. Air pressure does the rest :grin:

Thinking about it now I'd be inclined to weld a nut on the panel, and have an Allen or Torx bolt through....Still allows for the quick removal but hides away the head in the grill

#11 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 09:24 AM

My grille is held on with Rivnuts and machine screws, but in the normal positions. Rivnuts are really easy to replace if they strip or corrode, and I can't abide putting self tappers into panels. I have replaced just about all of them on the car with Rivnuts. Makes the car so much easier to work on!

#12 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:11 PM

Rivnuts are an excellent suggestion. I welded nuts to the backside of my front panel to hold the moustache grille surround in place. If I'd thought of the rivnuts, that would have been a much easier solution!

#13 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:02 PM

You can fit them the wrong way round with the buttons inside

Siggy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users