#31 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,550 posts
  • Local Club: Shatrats.com

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:21 AM

I think I'll give rattle canning a go now! I mean, I'm doing all the prep with rattle cans :proud:

How do I prep FG, and gelcoat?

#32 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:30 AM

I think I'll give rattle canning a go now! I mean, I'm doing all the prep with rattle cans :proud:

How do I prep FG, and gelcoat?

Rub the Gelcoat down with 400-600grit Wet and dry used Wet. once all the glossiness of the Gelcoat has gone... you're ready to paint over it. Don't forget to degrease it, and Tack rags are essential as it's a very fine dust.

#33 SQUADDIE

SQUADDIE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:04 PM

Hi Cooper shaz is about right on price £119 was the price of paint for me, the list was,
Thinners 5lt
Thinners good quality 2lt
primer 5lt
top coat car 3lt
roof 1lt
tack rags
2 rattel spay putty.

Then like everything its just time.

Attached Files

#34 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:06 PM

huh?... we're on about rattle can painting, these come ready mixed....... unless you mix your own rattle cans at home?... but yeah the price was about the same. Look sgood squaddie :proud:

**ooh squaddie is in Kiddy, not far from me! **

Edited by Retro_10s, 02 March 2007 - 12:07 PM.

#35 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:37 PM

When painting FibreGlass, after rubbing down, use an etch primer first, this will bite into the gel coat, then prime, and paint as normal.

I use a zinc chromate based etch primer, because it REALLY grips the fibre-glass.

You can also use a scotch brite pad to key the surface.. make sure which ever method you use (scotch brite or sand paper) there is not even a spec of shiny surface left.Any shiny surface will mean the paint does not stick to it that well.

Edited by cooper_shaz, 02 March 2007 - 02:43 PM.

#36 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• 9,550 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

Awesome, thanks Shaz!

#37 supastu

supastu

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Local Club: not in one yet

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:21 PM

so what kind of price differance is there between rattle cans and proffessionally done

#38 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• 9,550 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

IMO looking at it, for me its £200 compared to £1200....

#39 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:10 PM

When painting FibreGlass, after rubbing down, use an etch primer first, this will bite into the gel coat, then prime, and paint as normal.

Extremely useful info there coopershaz, cheers buddy. :proud:

#40 Legend

Legend

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:37 PM

so what kind of price differance is there between rattle cans and proffessionally done

theres a big difference in price but u do get what u pay for so it wont look like a profesionals done it, may look decent and shiny but will never be as good as when its been done by a pro,

#41 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:50 PM

theres a big difference in price but u do get what u pay for so it wont look like a profesionals done it, may look decent and shiny but will never be as good as when its been done by a pro,

At firs this is tru ,. but only when you compare a novice to a pro! The only thing that makes a pro a pro is practice. For instance, Cooper Shaz' Near side door. Very good quality and just as good as a spray gun job. But he's a pro, but only because he's done so muhc spraying etc, or... practice!.

Practice lots and you can get a pro finish.

#42 supastu

supastu

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Local Club: not in one yet

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:55 PM

so what kind of price is it for it all to be done proffessionally , and what price for just the top colour.

Edited by supastu, 03 March 2007 - 07:56 PM.

#43 Stoo

Stoo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:59 PM

Is this approach correct then...?

Spray on first coat, wait for it to be come tacky, then second, then third.
Do you put laquer onto set paint or onto tacky paint?

Stoo

#44 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:11 AM

Each layer of paint you apply goes on to a tacky surface, if you let the paint cure, you loose the adhesion quality, so you need to scotchbrite the surface (remove shine)

As for getting a pro to paint a car, it takes about 2 hours to put paint down on a car.

But the paint finish, even from a pro, is only good as the prep.

Thats what your paying for, the time for the prep.

But in my opinion what you have to balance out is this..

Minis rust.. Fact

Your going to get about 6 years from a really well prepped ad executed restoration & paint job before little bits of rust start to appear.

Is it worth spending 2k on a show quality paint job, as the only way it will stay that way is if you dont use the car and lock it away in a de-humidified bubble.

So, I would say, give it a bash, and do your best.. ok chances are it will not be a show quality job, but believe me, the 2nd time you do it it will be better...

#45 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• 9,550 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:18 PM

Each layer of paint you apply goes on to a tacky surface, if you let the paint cure, you loose the adhesion quality, so you need to scotchbrite the surface (remove shine)

As for getting a pro to paint a car, it takes about 2 hours to put paint down on a car.

But the paint finish, even from a pro, is only good as the prep.

Thats what your paying for, the time for the prep.

But in my opinion what you have to balance out is this..

Minis rust.. Fact

Your going to get about 6 years from a really well prepped ad executed restoration & paint job before little bits of rust start to appear.

Is it worth spending 2k on a show quality paint job, as the only way it will stay that way is if you dont use the car and lock it away in a de-humidified bubble.

So, I would say, give it a bash, and do your best.. ok chances are it will not be a show quality job, but believe me, the 2nd time you do it it will be better...

here here!

I actually like what you put, and the way you put it! Fills me with confidewnce to give mine a bash now!
Cheers Shaz!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users