Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 10 October 2004 - 05:40 PM

hey guys
after spending this morning fitting my new stereo and wiring everything in, ive got another eletrical problem
when i wired in the radio, the 12v feed from the old radio (std mini one) gave me a 12v supply, which i tested, yet when i wired it all in, the cables went dead :S and would do anything
so i had to tap into my cigarrette lighter wiring to get a feed for the radio....
not a big deal i guess
but then this happened....
went out for a drive, and it started raining, put the wipers on, and they seemed VERY slow, and would park properly, very odd.
got to town, parked up and went into town for a few hours.
came back to the car, left the carpark and put the wipers on, and nothing happened, as i put the wipers on the rev counter went dead, as did the screen wash pump.
i stopped and checked the fuse box, the 3rd fuse down (35amp) had blown.
so i went round to a mates house, and borrowed a brand new 35a fuse from his mgb gt, i fitted it, started the car up, and the rev counter jumped into life! the screen washers were working again, then i turned on the wipers.... and the rev counter died and the fuse blew straight away....
thi is REALLY annoying me, as ive checked all the fusebox connections, and tehy all look fine, its a new fuse box (2 months ago) so thats not the problem.
i just dont understand :S
any ideas would be great, as i use my wipers loads and i HATE driving without my rev counter :S
thanks
nick

Next Topic >>

#2 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 05:48 PM

Sounds to me like you've overloaded the circuit.

#3 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:04 PM

yea, its obviously overloading, but the question is, why????
thers nothing different now to cause it to overload, so it makes no sense really, nothing has changed sinse last week, im thinking i could have burned out the wiper motor maybe :S

#4 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 09:07 PM

firstly i would try to find out why the correct wire for the sterio went dead, check for an inline fuse, under the dash...

is the sterio a new one or 2nd hand, if the later is it any good, did you test it before you put it in the car...

turn the sterio off, and test the wipers does this blow the fuse, if not turn the sterio on, with the wipers going. does this blow the fuse?

if it does then your overloading the circuit, or you could have a short in the sterio..

but i would find out why the wire for the sterio went dead first, my first thought was a dodgy sterio, or a cable shorting out.......

hope this all helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users