#1 BlAck0ut

BlAck0ut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 06:20 PM

Posted Image

As you can see the back end of the car is very high. Last time I posted about this I thought the problem was it was just too high and I should lower it. But... alot of people of pointed out to me its probably the front suspension gone due to the wirhgt of the engine over the years, due to the front being low it has pulled the back up.

Seeing as I'm currently on a budget, plus having other jobs in mind I'm not after Hi Los at all, all I would like to do is just restore the front sus back to standard.

Any idea what parts I would need?

Costs?

and how easy to fit?

Many Thanks

#2 joe90gt

joe90gt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:08 PM

front end doesn't look that bad but if you think it is low you need to dismantle the front suspension and check the knuckle joints, (make sure the plastic cup hasn't worn excessively, tends to squeak if it has) and check the height of the rubber cones against new ones, for this you'll need a decent set of spanners and sockets and a cone compressor. This assumes the suspension hasn't been messed with already (chopping bits off the trumpets, adding washers to the trumpets etc etc), hi los are only for changing the ride hieght not for compensating worn suspension, get a haynes if you havn't already got one for description of the work involved

#3 BlAck0ut

BlAck0ut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:29 PM

wow thanks alot

I can almost garentee the suspension hs been messed around with as it's had two previous lady owners.

... and yes I do have a Haynes manual :grin:

Is it worth me dismantaling one of the front wheels sus, taking a pic and posting here to see if its worn or not!

#4 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:57 PM

just get some direct replacements, ive been told its not that hard to fit new shocks.

#5 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:06 PM

To be honest with you, your front end doesn't look low at all, if you take a look at mine, it is only a P reg, and the front is that high!! So it might be that the front/rear trumpets have been replaced, and not been on long enough to settle.

I have changed the shox, and fitted rear hilos on mine, but that doesn't make any difference to ride height, only ride bumpyness (except the rear which is lowered!

If i were you, after making sure the suspension looks normal, fit a set of hi los, and if the trumpets do start to wear down (if they are new), you can always heighten it with the hilos.

Posted Image

rich

#6 BlAck0ut

BlAck0ut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:08 AM

P91MER what your saying is dismantle the rear suspension and replace with hi los, then if the rear starts to lower to much I can always compensate for that by adjusting the hi los?

And for the front I would just have a look, check everythings ok but probably no need to fit or change anything to the front.

#7 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 12:34 PM

yes, get the set of hilos, they are about £55 for a full set, with new knuckles, then to fit them, you need to take out the rubber trumpet, so just check to see if it is new.

While mine was out, i wire brushed the metal part, and painted it with some paint to stop the rust.

They are a bit fiddley to fit, specially removing the old knuckle nylon..

Do you take passengers in the rear very often?

Rich

#8 BlAck0ut

BlAck0ut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:01 PM

So thats £55 for a pair of Hi Los to fit back?

What paint did you use? Hamertie?

Im guessin you use the wire brush just to clean it all up and get rid of any lose bits before painting.

Errrm, no passengers at the moment really cause I'm only 16 it only goes out occasionally. But when I'm driving it will be likely that I'll have passengers in the back

#9 BlAck0ut

BlAck0ut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:09 PM

...you can overcome this with a set of hi los but i wouldnt suggest buying a cheap alloy set as these corrode and seize up quite quickly your best of spending a little more on the original ripspeed type available from mini spares cant remember the price though. of course like others have said it could be the knuckles especially as it is only happening on one side check these first as they are a lot cheaper.

'Badoff' in a different suspension post.

:/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users