#1 L.O.Z

L.O.Z

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:58 AM

Hi ,
Ever since i have stumbled on the z cars mini , there has been only one focus - when i am going to get my busa mini.I have been thro most threads on this site and it is fasinating to see the passion with which those of you who have built your cars, have.I am sure many of these cars are up and running on a regular basis.My questions to you would be -

1. What if any issues have you had with the chain drive,limited slip diff. suspension etc.? Would you classify these as regular maintainence or otherwise?

2. What is the sound level like inside the cabin? Does the bulk head do a reasonable job of insulation(all relative!!)?

3. What is the maximum mileage any of you have put on these cars after your built? Have you raced them?

4. Without rear wheel being covered and slush on road =? How painful?!

I do look forward to your replies.Thanks.

Tom

#2 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:43 PM

Cracking questions you ask.
The answer is how you build it. You can buy the kit from z-cars, The rest is up to you.
Every project on here goes different ways.
The z-cars kit is what you buy and you tailor it to your needs or ask for a custom build.

Super charged, turbo charged, duplex chains, cush drives for full throttle changes and stronger output shafts. Its endless.

Is it for road or track or a summer toy. You decide. I wont be driving mine in the snow or slush, I would of bought a sand rail.

#3 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:40 PM

Hi ,
Ever since i have stumbled on the z cars mini , there has been only one focus - when i am going to get my busa mini.I have been thro most threads on this site and it is fasinating to see the passion with which those of you who have built your cars, have.I am sure many of these cars are up and running on a regular basis.My questions to you would be -

1. What if any issues have you had with the chain drive,limited slip diff. suspension etc.? Would you classify these as regular maintainence or otherwise?

2. What is the sound level like inside the cabin? Does the bulk head do a reasonable job of insulation(all relative!!)?

3. What is the maximum mileage any of you have put on these cars after your built? Have you raced them?

Tom

1. Chain - check tension every 700 miles ( I check mine every time I go out in it)

2. It's like having your head next to an engine doing 11,000 RPM. - 1.5mm of ally sheet, and a bit of fabric doesn't do a very good job of insulating anything.

3. 187. No

4. If there's a threat of moisture, or even dust, my car stays in the garage. Inner rear arches help though.

If you want to use your z-car as a daily driver (or racer) just nail it all together as quick as poss and use it, otherwise it'll end up being unbearable if you so much as breath on it in the wrong way!

#4 L.O.Z

L.O.Z

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:36 AM

Cracking questions you ask.
The answer is how you build it. You can buy the kit from z-cars, The rest is up to you.
Every project on here goes different ways.
The z-cars kit is what you buy and you tailor it to your needs or ask for a custom build.

Super charged, turbo charged, duplex chains, cush drives for full throttle changes and stronger output shafts. Its endless.

Is it for road or track or a summer toy. You decide. I wont be driving mine in the snow or slush, I would of bought a sand rail.

Thankyou for your reply. I am looking at the race spec mini kit with a std busa engine. Maybe a power commander later.I imagine the race spec would be a lot more strudy and easier to handle future engine mods. It is going to be a road and track car and i live in hot humid and dusty conditions!!! On a scale of 1to 10 how would you rate the monte against your R1 mini( I KNOW 2 DIFFERENT CARS...STILL!!)

#5 L.O.Z

L.O.Z

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:45 AM

Hi ,

Tom

1. Chain - check tension every 700 miles ( I check mine every time I go out in it)

2. It's like having your head next to an engine doing 11,000 RPM. - 1.5mm of ally sheet, and a bit of fabric doesn't do a very good job of insulating anything.

3. 187. No

4. If there's a threat of moisture, or even dust, my car stays in the garage. Inner rear arches help though.

If you want to use your z-car as a daily driver (or racer) just nail it all together as quick as poss and use it, otherwise it'll end up being unbearable if you so much as breath on it in the wrong way!

I guess a pack of ear plugs have to be std issue in the car(love that).As for putting the car together,still contemplating what i should do ,assemle or built it at z cars.I live many ponds away, so... questions questions. AND TILL I GET ONE, WONT SLEEP EASY!!!!!!

#6 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

Hi ,

Tom

1. Already answered I feel.

2. LOUD!!!! Don't let anyone convince you otherwise! I love it though!!?! :D

3. I'm up to around 1800miles on mine. Have loved them all

4. I've have driven it a few times when its been wet and to be honest other than making a mess it's just not fun. You have to drive slow and don't even think about accelerating too hard!! Unless of course you like lighting the rears up!! :P

Overall a great laugh.

I'll be gutted when I have to put mine up for sale... :dontgetit:

Edited by Ade, 06 March 2007 - 12:12 PM.

#7 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

I thought you sold yours ages ago Ade?? Managed to keep hold of it for just a bit longer??

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:11 PM

Just out of curiousity, has anyone with a Z-Cars mini bothered fitting windscreen wipers?!

#9 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:54 PM

I thought you sold yours ages ago Ade?? Managed to keep hold of it for just a bit longer??

Nope mentioned it was going to have to be sold but never quite got around to actually selling it......

Unfortunatley once the new exhaust is made it'll be up for sale almost straight away :D

#10 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:57 PM

Just out of curiousity, has anyone with a Z-Cars mini bothered fitting windscreen wipers?!

:D

I believe everyone has as they are required to be road legal...... but as can be seen in mini mayhem sideways is mostly the only way to travel when wet!!! I don't think anyone thought enough ahead to fit them on the side windows!

#11 L.O.Z

L.O.Z

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:56 PM

Hi ,

Tom

1. Already answered I feel.

2. LOUD!!!! Don't let anyone convince you otherwise! I love it though!!?! :D

3. I'm up to around 1800miles on mine. Have loved them all

4. I've have driven it a few times when its been wet and to be honest other than making a mess it's just not fun. You have to drive slow and don't even think about accelerating too hard!! Unless of course you like lighting the rears up!! =]

Overall a great laugh.

I'll be gutted when I have to put mine up for sale... ;)

Y our built of the minus r1 gets top marks! Been thro all 126 pages!!! It would be a shame to let it go.but i guess sometimes u got to do what u got to do.Its probably easier said than done.Hope u find the mid point!
Have u changed any of the rose joints? Done track time? Brakes changed? 1/4 Mile time- Top end? Thanks for your time.
Tom

/

#12 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:43 AM

L.O.Z
On a scale of 1to 10 how would you rate the monte against your R1 mini( I KNOW 2 DIFFERENT CARS...STILL!!)

As you said 2 different cars really. Engineering wise Its 10/10 for the monte. The monte is not finished yet so I cant comment on the drive.

I decided to build the R1 While waiting for the monte.
I look at these cars as a hobby and I will be selling the R1 to finance more modifications on the monte.

#13 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

Your built of the minus r1 gets top marks! Been thro all 126 pages!!! It would be a shame to let it go.but i guess sometimes u got to do what u got to do.Its probably easier said than done.Hope u find the mid point!
Have u changed any of the rose joints? Done track time? Brakes changed? 1/4 Mile time- Top end? Thanks for your time.
Tom

Erm no rose joints changed, I havent managed any track time but Bill Sollis did thrape it around curborough for mini mayhem. I haven't had to change the brakes although they did take a lot of fiddling to get right and working. I've only done a few 1/4 miles and had horrible launching issues! (too much rear grip!!) so the best was only a 13.5 @ 101mph i think. With a good launch (hopefully after having it mapped it'll fair a little better next time) it should manage to get into the 12s. And top end not entirely sure but around 130 I'd guess. Does get there very quickly though!!!!!

Ade

#14 L.O.Z

L.O.Z

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:23 AM

L.O.Z
On a scale of 1to 10 how would you rate the monte against your R1 mini( I KNOW 2 DIFFERENT CARS...STILL!!)

As you said 2 different cars really. Engineering wise Its 10/10 for the monte. The monte is not finished yet so I cant comment on the drive.

I decided to build the R1 While waiting for the monte.
I look at these cars as a hobby and I will be selling the R1 to finance more modifications on the monte.

Thanks koss.Good luck with the monte.

#15 L.O.Z

L.O.Z

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:26 AM

Your built of the minus r1 gets top marks! Been thro all 126 pages!!! It would be a shame to let it go.but i guess sometimes u got to do what u got to do.Its probably easier said than done.Hope u find the mid point!
Tom

Erm no rose joints changed, I havent managed any track time but Bill Sollis did thrape it around curborough for mini mayhem. I haven't had to change the brakes although they did take a lot of fiddling to get right and working. I've only done a few 1/4 miles and had horrible launching issues! (too much rear grip!!) so the best was only a 13.5 @ 101mph i think. With a good launch (hopefully after having it mapped it'll fair a little better next time) it should manage to get into the 12s. And top end not entirely sure but around 130 I'd guess. Does get there very quickly though!!!!!

Ade

What size of rim and tyres do you run on the minus r1? width of wheel arches?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users