Photo
- - - - -

Ammeter scrapped, volt meter wiring this time....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:06 PM

hey guys
ive taken teh advice of people on here, and decided not to fit my ammeter.
as a temp until i can afford something decent, ive got myself a 2nd hand volt meter from the local scrappy, it only cost me a tenner, so im not complaining
question is, i know a volt meter has t be connected in parallel, so its simply a case of taking a point and running cables to teh volt meter, but what do i wire it to? im guessing its one of the points on the fuse box?
would i take a wire from the right of the box into the negative terminal, and a wire from the left of teh box into the posotive?
which fuse do i do it across? 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th? or is it even across the fuse box at all....
anyhelp would be great, as ive got loads of time to do it all tomorow.
also, quick question
am i right in assuming the oil pressure sender is the large nut on the lower right of the block next to the bell housing as u look at it? with a single cable coming from it?
just checking as ive got an oil pressure gauge to go in as well....
water temp is easy, i do at least know that much
thanks in advance
nick

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:24 PM

Take a feed from the third fuse ( LGW ) wire which should be live when ignition is on, to your voltmeter and then to earth... easy as that.

as for the oil guage, yes your right... you'll need a "T" piece to allow youto connect both your switch and guage

#3 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:07 PM

A tenner?! Strewth, they saw you coming! At my local srappper that'd cost about 50p!

#4 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:54 PM

A tenner?! Strewth, they saw you coming! At my local srappper that'd cost about 50p!

i think my new one was only about £12

#5 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:17 AM

cheers for the help guys, im going to wire the volt meter in this minute, got nothing else to do :angry:
i know a tenner is a bit steep, but itsalright, at least its silver ringed like the others, the other option was a brand new 'race X' gauge from kevin cooper, but it looked horrid, and had a black ring, which wont fit in wiht the others....
cheers again
one more question....
where can i get one of these t pieces for the oil pressure gauge?
and its a long shot.... but it is possible to get any sort of t piece for the water temp? as itd be a shame to have my other temp gauge dead.... not that it really matters i guess.
cheers
nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users