#1 black jack1275

black jack1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:17 PM

I need a little help.
i have a new front end to put on my car, i was thinking with the panels off the car if i could paint them first then put them on. (saves me geting my head under the wings )
Also which is the best method of protecting the underneath of the wings/frontvalance. thanks Aaron

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:39 PM

*Some people spread seam sealer all over and then paint over it with colour to match the car

*Some people put a good few of layers of hammerite on and then when it's hardened, cover it in waxoil.

#3 black jack1275

black jack1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:14 AM

Thanks retro
My dad said there might be some tins of vapormatic paint in the back of the paint store, i will use that instead of hammerite.
Then put some stone chip on. Going to paint most of the underneath of the panels off the car, then after welding them on i will touch them up.

#4 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:16 AM

sounds good.

#5 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:53 AM

Schutz Underseal is great for new panels but make sure there is not a single bit of surface rust on the panel inner or you will seal it in. the surfaces that are going to be welded, make sure you spray them with a zinc rich weld through primer.
and then once you have them in place, use a brushable or caulking tube of seam sealer right along the underside of the wing join and where the wing weets A panel and A panel mees the door post..

If you do these areas well you should be rust free for a good amount of time.
After that, paint it again and waxoil it...

#6 black jack1275

black jack1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:00 PM

hopfully all the rust has been cut out and is now on the way to be made in to a bini HAHAHAHA.
I have treated the surface rust with dinitrol rc800 then painted over

#7 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Local Club: ERC / SMOA

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:08 PM

i don't know if you guys use it ove rthere but here... alot of people with trucks get "bedliner" sprayed into there bed or box.... this stuff gets tuff as nails, is thick (upto 1/8") is paintable if you really want, and seals the panel.... i sprayed the entire underside of my 79 with it.......

Al

Attached Files

Edited by Al*, 12 March 2007 - 09:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users