#1 Boab

Boab

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:48 PM

What is the correct order for etch primer, stone chipping, filler and paint? I have read the 21 page paint guide but I just want to clarify as it was a bit unclear although a very good guide.

Many thanks

Edit: Forgot about Waxoyl as well

Edited by bigbadboab, 08 March 2007 - 11:09 PM.

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:18 AM

What is the correct order for etch primer, stone chipping, filler and paint? I have read the 21 page paint guide but I just want to clarify as it was a bit unclear although a very good guide.

Many thanks

Edit: Forgot about Waxoyl as well

Filler
Etch Primer
Paint
Stone chip
Waxoil

**edit, I have seen people etch primer before filler... but surely this could cause the filler to fall out? I was always under the impression that filler had to be placed onto Bare metal for it to bond well.

Edited by Retro_10s, 09 March 2007 - 11:19 AM.

#3 black jack1275

black jack1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:43 AM

I was watching wheeler dealers the other night ,and on there Ed china said to put the etch primer first then the filler and not to fill on to bare metal as the etch primer gives the filler something to hold on to, also it seals the metal.
There seems to be so many ways of preping bodywork that i gets quite confusing :P

by the way Retro how is the painting going on your car

#4 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:58 AM

The way people do this varies..

You can etch the panel first.. although you can fill onto bare metal too.

Remember you can fill on top of primer and even paint that has been rubbed down.
It is sometimes only at the primer stage you see imperfections and there is nothing wrong with filling at that stage.

If you are using a zinc rich primer, it is best to put that straight onto bare metal, as the zinc will protect the metal through a chemical reaction. zinc primer on top of paint/primer does not have the same effect.

Hope this helps..

Shaz

Edited by cooper_shaz, 09 March 2007 - 11:58 AM.

#5 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:59 AM

The way people do this varies..

You can etch the panel first.. although you can fill onto bare metal too.

Remember you can fill on top of primer and even paint that has been rubbed down.
It is sometimes only at the primer stage you see imperfections and there is nothign wrong with filling at that stage.

If you are using a zinc rich primer, it is best to put that straight onto bare metal, as the zinc will protect the metal through a chemical reaction. zinc primer on top of paint/primer does nto have the same effect.

Hope this helps..

Shaz

All hail the master!. cooper dude you've been away for too long! welcome back! ^_^

My paintings going well thanks mate, Just waiting for my new front end to turn up now :P and then i can crack on.

#6 black jack1275

black jack1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:03 PM

I got my new frontend the other day, just waiting for the welding fairies to put it on for me :P

#7 Boab

Boab

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,610 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:15 PM

Many thanks guys.
I watch Wheeler dealers the other day too and picked up on what Ed China had said, but I just wanted to ask the 'floor' their opinions.

Cheers :P

#8 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:06 PM

Many thanks guys.
I watch Wheeler dealers the other day too and picked up on what Ed China had said, but I just wanted to ask the 'floor' their opinions.

Cheers ^_^

don't blame you at all mate, the script he'd been handed could well have been wrong if you know what i mean :P

#9 midridge2

midridge2

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 05:25 PM

i was allways taught that filler goes onto bare metal, any panel that was in primer and needed filler it was allways rubbed down to bare metal before filling.

#10 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 05:50 PM

That's the method i always use mate. Filler onto bare metal.

#11 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:18 PM

Yep. For any dents or anything needing filler, bare metal the area, apply filler, rub down and etch prime any areas of bare metal that remain. Only dust on the etch primer, if you apply it thickly it takes ages to dry and doesn't work properly. Etch is a special acid primer that funnily enough "etches" to the metal, and ensures that following coats will adhere to the surface. It is not meant to be used as a primer as such. After etching, prime with normal 2K or celly :P primer. Apply guide coat, (black aerosol/3M dustcoat) Flat that with 400, guide coat again and then flat with 6/800, and you're ready for paint. Job done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users