5 replies to this topic

#1 peterw47

peterw47

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 12:03 PM

I've been looking at getting a 12G295 and freeflow/lcb and new exhaust system. Ive read some websites and forums that say lcb is best and others say that freeflow with an rc40 is the best. im confused what to get! I'm not sure about the sizes of lcb's but is freeflow 1.75" and will fit straight onto an rc40 system? I'd rather get the rc40 because its a lot cheaper than SS systems. Oh and ill probably be putting the exhaust system on before getting the head, that will come a bit later, so ive gotta bear that in mind to.

Also does the rc40 come in just 2 parts? "RC40 - twin box rear section" and "Connecting Pipe - Freeflow/LCB manifold to RC40 rear boxes" (from dsn classics)

Be appreciated if anyone can help

Cheers

#2 EVO6RSS

EVO6RSS

Passed Test

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 12:55 PM

If u are adding a stage 1 kit to a 1000 or 1275 engine the small bore LCB will be fine. The RC40 is great choice for the exhuast as they are cheap and offer the right reduction in back pressure.

Alot of the mini's you see running around with big bore exhaust systems on realtivly standard engines will actually be down on the potential power as the exhaust bore if far to large.

If you are running a thousand engine then see if you can find a second hand MG metro engine. It will drop straight in more or less, has a better head design than the earlier castings and a better cam (more lift). The MG metro cam is simlar in profile to a mild rd cam (256/266 duration). I had an MG metro engine in one of my previous minis and this with a Stage 1 tuning kit (LCB, RC 40, K&N and inlet manifold made around 80bhp. With a 3.4 final drive (some of the early MG metro boxes had this ratio in) it really flew.. It was also cheap, got it from the scrappy for £50 and dropped it in myself with the ST1 kit.

Have a think about it..

Cheers,

Rich.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 14 October 2004 - 01:44 PM

RC40's come in many guises, Mild steel, stainless, side exit, center exit, twin box, single box.... but main thing is that it's a 1.75" bore with an RC40 rear box which provides the appropriate back pressure... On a tuned 998, or mildly tuned 1300 will suite perfectly...

As for manifold. I prefer LCB's just for the fact that freeflows, and 3 branch manifolds are a complete pain in the **** to fit.... I believe the difference is, the free flow is quieter than the LCB, and the 3 branch has better flow characteristcs than both ( but is realy only intended for competition )

But whatever you do don't buy a budget manifold....buy named brand eg. Maniflow, PlayMini, Janspeed.... they are much stronger, IMO.

#4 EVO6RSS

EVO6RSS

Passed Test

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 03:11 PM

I would agree with the above.. Don't buy the budget fannymoulds, the material is poo, the tubing is thin and as such weak and the welding is complete C**p and only addeds to the weakness problem.

Spend your money on a decent maniflow or Janspeed and get stainless if your can afford it cause then it will not corrode, make sure that if you buy stainless the welds are stanless as well..

3-1 is a nice manifold and will offer gains over and above a LCB due to the equal length primarys.

The only problem with them for the road is sealing the bastards at the collector, hence why they are not recomended.

Cheers,

Rich.

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:06 PM

In my experience the best results with the small bore engine (850, 998, 1098) come from the Cooper type Freeflow manifold. It is a pluse design using the siamesing of the central port to great effect and has no collector or y-piece to seal up. It can be a b***h to thread into the car though! LCB for everything else on a road car, simply for ease of fitting compared to the three branch. They are all available stainless, and if I were you I would spend the pennies and get the stainless system. You only have to get it once, whereas a performance mild steel exhaust won't last any loner than a standard mild steel one. Stainless sounds a llittle tinnier in use though, but it's up to you.

#6 peterw47

peterw47

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 02:00 PM

thanks for all the advice people, ill have a good think and work out my money... think ive changed my mind a little bit, im gonna get the 12g295 head first because i can put that one without buying anything else (apart from getting it skimmed)where as if i buy a free flow i cant put it on until ive got the rest of it... oh and yeah its a 998.

Cheers

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users