13 replies to this topic

#1 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

just got back from the dyno with the 2.4 supercharged v tec monte we have been building for a customer in ireland
im almost speechless we hooked it up and did a few low power runs to bed the motor in then started mapping the ecu
the first time we did a full power run the exhaust blew the floor tiles off the dyno cell floor and out into their yard
the whole building shook and it hurt my ears with the noise from the engine you could feel the pressure on your chest from the air being sucked into the engine and the exhaust gas flying out of the exhaust pipe
ive been watching cars on dynos for 30 odd years but never seen anything quite so dramatic before
we have the new body nearly ready to fit then we are going to bruntingthorpe for some more set up on the mid range mapping with the car being driven along so its getting all its cool air over radiaters and intercoolers etc
im going to get track and race car magazine along to time it and do a lap round their track just to see how quick it is,from the way it ripped the dyno apart it should be quite something to see
im starting to think the B16 and B18 motors might be quite a nice option for the kits then they could be supercharged later for more power we are getting quite a bit of expertise in the rotrex blowers now and im sure a b16 blown would get 250 bhp easily with a nice spread of power and torque
building these minis is getting quite addictive i cant stop thinking of ways to improve the breed every time we try something it just gets better and better
we thought the 2.4 v tec would give 450 bhp but it did 480 bhp and 380 lb ft of torque thats what a good V8 chevvy will do but it weighs half the weight
god ive got the best job in the world
chris

#2 THE STIG

THE STIG

Da stig says, GO GO GO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:10 AM

think most people would agree you have the best job

sounds like it will be a serisouly fast motor

#3 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:23 AM

think most people would agree you have the best job

sounds like it will be a serisouly fast motor

its getting close to the time where we can have the genuine stig drive one round their track
i actually took james may round elvington (3 days before richard hammond crashed there) last summer in our v tec powered demo mini
he wanted a ride round so i took him out we then chatted for a bit then he asked if i would take him again so obviously i did
he has a mini of his own and loves them so he was keen to see if we could do something for top gear
when im happy with the monte and have one like the 480 bhp one we have just built im going to try and sort something out
as they say in the italian job " i have a plan "
when we go we have to be sure that the mini will blow away as many of the super cars as possiable once we get racing this monte we will be able to see just how quick it is then i will know for sure
the steel bodied minis with a v tec in are already faster than a ferrari modena round a track so we may be able to do it with a steel bodied car
one things for sure when we have raced them this year they will be faster at the end of the season than they are now
our next demo car will be a B18 with supercharger in a 1967 cooper steel shell that would wind them up if it was quicker than most of the lambos etc
chris

#4 ryan69

ryan69

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:28 AM

Some people have the best jobs..

Do you reckon you could get a feature on Top Gear then, it's about time they did something on fast minis.

#5 steveo

steveo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:33 PM

i met Hammond and May on Friday, during my degree of Motorsport Engineering I managed to get some work experience at a company I sure quite a few of you know....Marcos. They are on the Prodrive site in Warwickshire and built true british sports car.....1130kg n just shy of 500bhp (hmm...ne1 spot a bad side)

neways they came up to see the first 3 production cars collected to the customers and had a go in the prototype ( a prototype was on Top Gear previously but has been dramatically re-engineered since), and they asked me my involvement and about me course and I got talking to them about my passion to build and own a Z Cars mini but unique to what every1 else has done so far (although every Zcar unique. Im waffling on but yea basically James MAy told me he had been in a Monte n really enjoyed it/shocked at its performance.

then he had to perform some duty and chat to our owner/boss of the company

Steve

PS....little piccy of the 3 cars

Attached Files

#6 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:11 PM

i met Hammond and May on Friday, during my degree of Motorsport Engineering I managed to get some work experience at a company I sure quite a few of you know....Marcos. They are on the Prodrive site in Warwickshire and built true british sports car.....1130kg n just shy of 500bhp (hmm...ne1 spot a bad side)

neways they came up to see the first 3 production cars collected to the customers and had a go in the prototype ( a prototype was on Top Gear previously but has been dramatically re-engineered since), and they asked me my involvement and about me course and I got talking to them about my passion to build and own a Z Cars mini but unique to what every1 else has done so far (although every Zcar unique. Im waffling on but yea basically James MAy told me he had been in a Monte n really enjoyed it/shocked at its performance.

Steve

i think he must have been a bit confused the monte was there but he actually came out in the steel bodied v tec demo car
he did say it was the fastest mini he has ever been in i didnt get chance to put him in the monte which is a pity but the important thing with these tv types is to put the car in front of them a few times so they twig what you are all about
its nice to know he hasnt forgotten his little ride in the car and hopefully when i do approach them he will be up for it
chris

#7 USA-Fin

USA-Fin

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:03 AM

Chris, the car sounds like it's going to be a screamer!
Is the 480 hp at the flywheel or at the rear wheels? If it's at the rear wheels, how much power do you think the drivetrain bled off (10-20%?)? Is the 2.4 a sleeved overbore or is it a 2.4 block? How exotic is the head work on the motor? Will it run on pump gas (93 octane)? What's the boost? Is the motor streetable from a manners and longevity standpoint?
What do you project for a 0-60 time with the 480hp motor (2.83 with the 400 horse VTEC is amazing!)?

I'm not trying to steal your building secrets, I understand if you would rather not answer specifics. On this side of the pond some engine builders take offense if you ask too many questions. They don't want to give up their secrets, which is understandable.

Jim

#8 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:45 PM

we built the motor in house and its running the rotrex supercharger with our own fitting brackets etc
we used the 2.4 honda which was from a stock road going car,pulled it apart and fitted carillo rods and forged pistons
its got our own inlet manifold and throttle bodies 750 cc injectors big clutch stock gearbox with our own limited slip diff which is plate type (i like them better as they give more traction than the honda lsd) its on our Hydra ecu and loom and running a 4x2x1 z cars exhaust system
the 480 was crank hp but it was losing quite a bit due to wheel spin on the dyno (i cant understand why dynos have steel drums with no grip at all surely they would be better with some abrasive coating like a brake roller tester)
i was chuffed with the power but it ticks over like a sewing machine and would pass the emissions test without a cat!!!
the motor had done 100000 miles before we stripped it and we re used all the bearings as they were just like brand new
the bores were perfect and just had a light hone out thats it
we have run a 2.0 v tec supercharged all last year giving 400 bhp no problem and its on stock pistons and rods
they are simply the best engine in the world period
chris

#9 Andy Simpson

Andy Simpson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:39 PM

just got back from the dyno with the 2.4 supercharged v tec monte we have been building for a customer in ireland

oohh whens it coming over here, I would love to see it

#10 Mini Mad Rich

Mini Mad Rich

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Local Club: Leamington Spa Mini Massive

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:41 PM

Steve

Your a lucky so and so Steve doing all these things and meeting all these people but then I do have an interview for a possible job/apprentiship with prodrive next Monday :D

Rich

#11 USA-Fin

USA-Fin

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:01 AM

Chris,

Sounds like a great motor. I can't wait to visit your shop!

Jim

#12 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:16 AM

you could lend me one for the weekend and i'll do a few fly past runs at clarkson's house (he's only a couple of miles up the road from me) :D :D :dontgetit:

#13 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:56 AM

i cant understand why dynos have steel drums with no grip at all surely they would be better with some abrasive coating like a brake roller tester

Hmm, you got me thinking then! The only idea I can come up with is that its a safety thing. Ie, if the dyno was suddenly to seize up, then in theory the wheels could just spin on the metal rollers (if the car is sufficiently strapped down) rather than gripping the rollers and disappearing through a wall. Thats in theory, what would happen in practise, I wouldn't want to find out.

#14 smudger

smudger

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • Local Club: Lots

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:55 PM

that and the massive increase in tyre wear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users