Photo

Big trouble in little mini land!!! Rattle repairs gone wrong!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:26 PM

hi guys

so i had moulded group 5 arches when i bought my mini. the front ones came off easy but the rear ones left some gouges and large scratches. so i filled them sanded them , filled them sanded them etc etc. then i used some 2k primer on the affected areas which went nice and hard. then scuffed it up with 600 grit paper. i then used a rattle can to spray the colour on and on some areas it was lovely but others it went really crackled and blistery.

i explored further and basically the rattle can is reacting with the two pack that was put on before i bought the car. when i scraped these blisters off with a razor blade i revealed some very smooth indeed yellow primer!!! not even keyed in!! so i kept scraping and my rear quarter is quite yello now and i want it black. on some other repairs aswell the rattler has reacted badly softening the paint to bare metal or yellow primer level?

what is the cause of this??? i degreased and keyed the paint and the paint worked fine on another repair i did. why does it soften the paint???

i want a primer now though that will stop anything else like these reactions happening. is there a primer that stops reactions coming through, like for 2k onto celly or similar??? i dont really know. a product name would be best for me.

cheers

Ted

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:06 PM

Have you used any sort of paint stripper???

You basically need a Barcoat Primer. This blocks out anything it's put on top of and so stops chemical reactions etc...

What rattle can paint did you use?... I was under the impression you could paint almost anything over 2k primer... REad the label on the abck of the rattle can.

#3 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:49 AM

You cant paint cellulose over fresh 2k primer/paint etc..

you can paint 2k paint over cellulose though, although to be completely safe
it is best to stick to one type of paint.

As you now have a mix of 2k primer and celly on your panel, as retro correctly says..
you need barcoat..
sand your panel smooth, and spray your barcoat on, then if your using rattle cans as a top coat, use celly primer on the barcoat, if your flatting the primer down make sure you dont rub through the barcoat..
then paint with the rattle cans.

Basically it celly thinner has reacted with the primer..

if you are spraying 2k primer, any reason your not spraying 2k top coat ??

#4 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:04 PM

yeah - i got loads of 2k primer from my project car but this is my rally ******* car so not really bothered about a show finish as it gets ragged. and its black and my project is grey so no black 2k at the moment.

so then barcoat. what is a good make and where do i get it from???

Edited by superted87, 13 March 2007 - 01:05 PM.

#5 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

I dont think there is any good or bad makes.. they just do what they say on the tin..

any aint suppliers should have it, brown brothers, partco maybe... yell.co.uk or car panels or automotive paint..

#6 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:24 AM

hello guys,

mixed results really-

ordered barcoat - found it easy once you told me the correct name

on the side where it had really messed me about i decided to get angry. i used a razorblade and the softened paint just scraped off in big sheets. so i sanded it all back to bare metal and panel wiped it. new coat of primer and it was ok, then new topcoat of rattle can black. it is dry now and has not reacted so i will put another coat on and go from there. still one side needs barcoating, and so does the boot.

cheers for all your help

ted

case closed!!

#7 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:17 AM

You could always get some 2pack mixed in rattle cans. Normaly costs about £10 a custom mixed can.

#8 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:23 AM

You could always get some 2pack mixed in rattle cans. Normaly costs about £10 a custom mixed can.

Problem with 2k is you have an activator in it, the setting of the paint is a chemical reaction betweek the chemicals, so unless you sprayed it in super quick time, it would set inthe can...

#9 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:13 PM

surely the activator works also on air contact and the chemical reaction (is that not why it says air dry hardener on the can??? i dunno). i have had halfrauds 2 pack in a can left it in the can for a week before i went anywhere near the mini with it. sprayed lovely but now i dont likethe colour so my engine bay will be smoke grey to match the rest.

back to my scrappy teenager that is my black car. i have now accepted that the 2 pack paint job that was rushed on to it before i bought it is *******. i put painters masking tape on it and it pulled the paint off!!!! very poor prep work me thinks. Basically i am gonna do some very basic repairs to some of the paint then apply some of the plethera of stickers i have in my mini box. A3 EBC pads ones, door numbers, black paint with white roof should look cool with some stickers. got low back seats, harnesses, centre clocks, flip front etc but still only a little 998. aahh. just need some wheels that will look good now.

well progress will be reported accordingly.

cheers

ted

#10 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:59 PM

Problem with 2k is you have an activator in it, the setting of the paint is a chemical reaction betweek the chemicals, so unless you sprayed it in super quick time, it would set inthe can...

i brought some when I restored my clubby, and year on they where still fine. They do stink though when you spray them

#11 advantage998

advantage998

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:40 PM

surely the activator works also on air contact and the chemical reaction (is that not why it says air dry hardener on the can??? i dunno). i have had halfrauds 2 pack in a can left it in the can for a week before i went anywhere near the mini with it. sprayed lovely but now i dont likethe colour so my engine bay will be smoke grey to match the rest.

Halfords paint isnt 2k its 1k acrylic, so its airdryed and doesnt have a hardener in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users