6 replies to this topic

#1 Dam_Buster

Dam_Buster

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:17 AM

right well its finally coming under way.

Im jim by the way, i don't really post all that much on this forum, just ghost about abit for information.!

well i used to be a Metro lover, *please no slating*. i used to own a GTi metro and a GTi VVc 143 Bhp metro, but lets face it, your never gonna pick up chicks in a metro, unless there really into there hybrid cars!

so after a long conversation *Binge* has managed to bend my arm enough *ben whats going on?!? :D ...sorry private joke* to want to get a mini!

i have purchased a fantastic mini shell, where the front end has already been chopped off, the floors, inner and outer sills have been replaced, the rear valance is spanking new, all in all, it was a steal at 400 quid.

now i have had to think a lil bit about engines, i could go red top, but its all a bit much, V-tec? bit out of my budget for the moment, K-series? i know those engines off the back of my hand, strip and rebuild one easy peasy,

the documents i have the Mot's start back at 7526 mileage in 1990 but its already been re-registered as a 1600! lol previous owner obv was doing a 1.6 vtec swap but never completed it, gotta get it re-re-registered as a 1400. i'll be getting a dry liner k-series engine then , so when it comes to it, i will swap over the internals and have a 1.8 under a 1.4 engine code.

so now i have chosen my weapon of choice, i needed to source a frame, i have ordered up my self a k-series/mini subframe from 16vminishop. and should see that at the end of this month,. hopefully! woot!

i have chosen to go 1.4 GTI engine for the bedding in stages, just so when its road worthy i can get used to it, then it will be swapped for a 1.8 tuned from there!

all i need for the moment is a decent rear subframe, and get some steelies so i can roll it in and out, also want decent set of front hubs!

Edited by Dam_Buster, 16 March 2007 - 10:19 AM.

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:33 AM

Hi Jim, Keep us posted on progress... If I were to do a 'hybrid' as you call them, I must admit the K series seems the most attractive of the lot, mainly because they are easy to get hold of and spares are cheap...

#3 Geehawk

Geehawk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:39 PM

i will swap over the internals and have a 1.8 under a 1.4 engine code.

:D

#4 day101

day101

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Local Club: Dont have one:(

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:53 PM

Just make sure you change the HG because they are gits for going i know you can by race ones or something like that what are so much better and people never have problems with HGF again.

#5 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:29 PM

a million stories about k-series head gaskets, a million differnt ways to fix it all, as long as everything is 100% with how rover deemed it shud be out of the factory as far as tolerences go it wont give u any troubles, its a good deal lighter than any of the alternatives (excluding a bike engine). i'll be watching this thread closely with a slight element of excitement as im planning a k-conversion as my next step for power!

#6 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:14 PM

Myself and Jim are both doing the same sort of conversion, Both using GTi K-16 engines.
Both projects are well underway. And HGF is highly unlikely to happen again in the time we have these engines in these cars. Purely down to the fact that,

a) Both engine will have had a full Cylinder head gasket change, new stretch bolts, Skimming, Steel dowels etc.

B) The weight of the cars these engines are going to be pulling are considerably lighter than any rover. so both engines will be under VERY little strain at all.

c) Were planning on going 1.8 within a year of the cars been on the road anyway. :)

Keep the thread up to date man, As soon as I get a shell back in my garage I will build a thread. :)

<|ben|>

#7 Dam_Buster

Dam_Buster

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

head gaskets, i have never had a problem with,

people put it to blame on the fact that rover used long head bolts, which allow the engine to sway! this is rubbish, rover used Nylon Head dowels, which worked great at first, but soon become week and cracked, and soft, from hot and cold changes, and age, replacing these with steel dowels, and a high quality gasket, making the thermostat housing satellite, and fitting a up-rated water pump, you will never see hgf again, to be honest.

im looking at weighing at 650 kg's, as im going for a stripped out look, so with the 105 bhp engine that works out to 171 bhp per ton!, which is a nice figure for sure!

these engines are used to pull metro's and 214 bubbles, so a mini no problem, the 1.8 will surely be a bit over kill, but thats what the mini's are there for, take it to the limit,

a family friend has a old vvc coupe that he is selling cheap so i might buy it for the engine, sell the rest off, 143 vvc engine, solid cam kit 175 bhp, + decent exhaust and induction lookin at 182, fse, and a emerald ecu, will see you up to 190, eeeee!!!

lotsa money to spunk away on a mini, buts gonna be worth it,

but thats all along way away yet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users