#1 phils sprite

phils sprite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Local Club: RUNNIN AMOC!!!!

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:54 PM

im buying a K&N air filter for my spi the bloke is selling just the filter however when ive been looking through mini mag there all called induction kits leading me to belive that other stuff is required to fit it!!?? if so what else will i need and where can i get it sepratley?

can anyone help me out asap so i can pull out of the sale if nessary?

thank you so so much for any help hehe phil. :teehee: :dontgetit: :ermm: :xxx: :) :cry: :thumbsup:

#2 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Local Club: NF500

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:28 PM

Phil,

when you are removing the old filter there will be a sensor in the casing be very careful when removing this as you will need to replace it on your new K&N filter.

Make sure that you are buying the SPI filter also as the MPI filter does not have a recepticle fro the sensor to go in.

Hope this helps

Dev

#3 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:11 PM

As above. Also, in the kit there is a cold air feed pipe and a screw to block off the red vac line that attaches to the original air box and a few ties.

This is no biggie however as the cold air feed is actualy a waste of time, then all you need is any screw small/big enough to plug the end of the red vac line and tie it back in the engine bay away from the exhaust manifold.

Otherwie its a like for like sort of job

Just dont over do he tightening of the large jubilee clip that holds it onto the injection manifold. Clean the faces on the filter and the injection housing where the two meet, make sure there is no oil, and then just nip the clip up enough to stop the filter moving. If you overdo it it WILL pop off. Mighty Mini racers fit a chunk of foam onto the bonnet right above the filter to help stop this happening.

#4 phils sprite

phils sprite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:18 PM

If you overdo it it WILL pop off. Mighty Mini racers fit a chunk of foam onto the bonnet right above the filter to help stop this happening.

yea i read about this in mini mag lol. thanks for the help so i just need to block off the red hose and replace the sensor in the new filter?

fantastic cheers for the help both of you!

phil. :ermm: :xxx: :) :cry:

#5 m3ntalist

m3ntalist

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:13 PM

I think the k57i is a bit of a poor product for the price, it doesnt actually stay on that well, plus that poor quality ducting they give you usually just melts and falls to bits!

I think some modification is needed, like some sort of thing to push onto the bonnet to keep it in place :D maybe a bit of foam, im sure I read that someone did that to theirs

#6 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

Thats what the mighty's do to keep them on Keith.

The MPI ones are the same they can pop off too if not adjusted correctly.

#7 phils sprite

phils sprite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:47 PM

ok finaly ive got my air filter through!! - now a few questions.......

do i need to block the red pipe and if so y?? it seams to run better with it off!

also i cant get the bloody sensor out of the old bloody air box!!!!! >:teehee: >:P >:thumbsup: >:thumbsup: do i really need it installed!? if so how do i remove it!!!!????

anything else i should do before taking her for a spin!!???

please help a confused, iritated and lost mini owner!? lol

cheers guys! phil :) :o :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :( :)

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:23 PM

Yes, you deffo need the air temp sensor in the filter housing, on the car. They can be tight, make syre you use a correctly fitted spanner. If it wont budge and you end up damaging the sensor, then its a new sensor im afraid. It should move though if you git it some heave ho. Things are fitted for a reason, no good thinking you can get away without them :(

And yes you need to block off the red pipe that should have a brown elbow on the end, that originaly fitted to the standard air filter housing. The pipe itself should still be fitted to the back of the manifold. You could alternatively remove this pipe altogether and block off the port on the manifold, if you have the means to do this.

#9 phils sprite

phils sprite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:53 PM

Yes, you deffo need the air temp sensor in the filter housing, on the car. They can be tight, make syre you use a correctly fitted spanner. If it wont budge and you end up damaging the sensor, then its a new sensor im afraid. It should move though if you git it some heave ho. Things are fitted for a reason, no good thinking you can get away without them :(

And yes you need to block off the red pipe that should have a brown elbow on the end, that originaly fitted to the standard air filter housing. The pipe itself should still be fitted to the back of the manifold. You could alternatively remove this pipe altogether and block off the port on the manifold, if you have the means to do this.

ok will do yea true i suppose!!! lol right so it definatley undoes with a spanner then yea?? didnt want to risk breaking it so tried poping it out instead (that would explain y this didnt work lol!!!

cheers mate ill get on with it straight away! phil :) :) :o :teehee: :P

#10 m3ntalist

m3ntalist

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:24 AM

I am currently sourcing materials to stop the POP OFF!

#11 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:26 PM

foam from an up holstery store or furnishers should be fine keith

#12 phils sprite

phils sprite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:18 AM

OK WELL JUST THOUGHT ILD UPDATE YOU.

ANYONE THINKING OF BUYING A K&N FOR THEIR SPI WELL................... DOIT!!

I CANT GET OVER THE DIFFRANCE!!! ITS BREATHTAKING AND THE NOISE SENDS YOU INTO MASSIVE GOOSE BUMPS!!!

AND THE PERFORMANCE IS AMAZING!!!!!! I JUST CANT GET OVER THE DIFFRANCE!!!

TAKE CARE ALL PHIL. :thumbsup: :D :D :D :D :gimme:

#13 Roo

Roo

The Queen Of The Curly Wurly

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts
  • Local Club: South Central Mini Club!

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:43 AM

I have a K&N on my SPi. If you touch it it will pop off. If you tighten the screw to hold it on, It pops off. The bonnet holds mine down. But yes there is a difference compared to the original filter.

#14 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:54 AM

I heard from many sources that the K&N element type filter is much better than the induction kit. And its certainly easier to fit by the sounds of it.

#15 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:20 PM

It all depends on the spec of your engine. If like me your engine is a heavy breather, the standard box and K&N ellement is restrictive.

If the engine is almost standard with maybe a stage one kit then yes there may not be much difference, but two things the induction kit does is, make it sound good, and get rid of a lot of clutter under the bonnet :withstupid:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users