49 replies to this topic

#16 Malc and Di

Malc and Di

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:11 PM

If you get a few Zs want to go it might be an idea to club together and bring a suport vehicle like a transit van to carry all the equipment and camping gear , would also make a good towing vehicle should the worse happen
(i think this would be a good idea for all the minis on the trip not just the Zs)
Zs do tend to have a totaly differant set of problems to the more standard minis

We're wondering about bring the family wagon - a Subaru Legacy Estate to carry the gear. And taking turns driving the cars. Dunno. Means paying for 2 cars.

Malc Di

#17 THE STIG

THE STIG

Da stig says, GO GO GO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:17 PM

To be honest I am also wondering how the regular Mini crowd would take to a Z Cars monster in their midst. Hostile or welcoming? I don't know.

Malc Di

its a mini dont why would you think anyone would be hostile all are welcome even jammy ^_^

would love to see a z cars mini kick some ass over there make a few of the so called sports cars look silly :D

Edited by THE STIG, 24 March 2007 - 10:19 PM.

#18 adyzr1

adyzr1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:20 AM

anyone thinking of going?

#19 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:04 AM

how many miles is it all together?
I think the issue would probably be reliability? I would really like to make the journey but to be honest im not sure its even going to go out in the rain!

#20 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:48 AM

I think Chris would disagree with the reliability issue. I know he's been to a couple of events on the continent where he's driven the mini there and back, and done laps of a track whilst there.

#21 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Local Club: NF500

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:13 PM

Well from Manchester its 598 to the ring.

So not to far once on the other side of the water really.

I think the Z's would be ace to see there.

Isn't Ali taking his Z minus this year?

#22 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:57 PM

I think the best idea is to clock a few long journeys over here first. See what sort of mileage you can do without tensioning the chain. Also what miles can you get from a full tank of fuel before finding petrol stations.

As dean mentioned the rain, it would be a good idea to fit the inner arches and do some water proofing. Also get used to driving it in the wet.
The noise gets unbearable after 50 miles with no ear plugs.
But anything is possible with careful planning.

Does anyone know if you would need taller gearing on the ring (bike powered)?

#23 adyzr1

adyzr1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:08 PM

i was thinking exactly the same about the chain, i think if i go i would take a spare one!

i think if you went steady going over there it shouldnt be a problem i.e nice steady pull offs (not causing to much stress on the chain links,) then once there thrape it round the ring! if youve got a spare chain this could be fitted on the return jouney should the worse happen.

i used to live in germany, think its about four or five hour drive on the other side

#24 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:31 PM

I think Chris would disagree with the reliability issue. I know he's been to a couple of events on the continent where he's driven the mini there and back, and done laps of a track whilst there.

Like the other guys said, The chain may be the only issue. If everything is aligned correctly it all should be ok. I wouldnt like to damage the case caused by the chain snapping over there, now that would start to get expensive!

Do the inner guards give that much protection then?

Also dont get me wrong the zcars are extremely well made and the factory built jobbies should have no trouble. All im saying is i wouldnt even attempt the long distance without having chris set mine up first.

Edited by dean_chad, 25 March 2007 - 06:59 PM.

#25 THE STIG

THE STIG

Da stig says, GO GO GO

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:30 PM

i was thinking exactly the same about the chain, i think if i go i would take a spare one!

i think if you went steady going over there it shouldnt be a problem i.e nice steady pull offs

on the drive there the average speed is about 60 -65mph in convoy no mad driving honest

#26 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:31 PM

i wish i could spare the time to come but im just so busy at that time of year and the daughters getting married (god i feel old now)
chains will last pretty long time if you oil them regularily a handy tool for this is a thing called a scott oiler which you can buy at any motorbike shop
basically its a pot with a vacumn valve to your engines intake manifold when the engine runs it opens a small valve and drips oil onto the chain when you stop it stops so no mess
this will giveyou about 5 times the life in the chain and lots less tightening
in convoy at 60 65 mph there will be no problem at all and mpg should be good
try the little ear plugs bikers wear under their helmets they are good and comfy to wear
if you pack your cloths into soft bags its surprising what will stow on top of the rear bulkhead this will also deaden the noise a bit as well
pack an emergency tyre inflater/puncture aerosol they work well
biggest tip though when on the ring dont go mad at first as a crash on the first bend is damaging to the ego as well as the purse
you must get aa type recovery cover as well the cost from france to Z cars for a kit car last year was £1000 ouch
PS a good tow rope will be useful as well even if it gets you off a motorway and to somewhere you can look at it
finally if you do go and break down i will always answer the phone for technical help so take our phone no with you
chris

#27 THE STIG

THE STIG

Da stig says, GO GO GO

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:09 PM

as chris said scott oiler is a good bit of kit have run on several of my bikes and does extend the life of the chain a lot

most people take tools tow rope etc last year had to fix the brakes on a car and some others had to fit a new steering colum

year before we had to totaly rewire a car so theres enough tools and now how to fit most this

but as chris said the one thing not to do is to crash cant fix that really

you have to have breakdown cover to do the run

shame you cant make it chris think that would be ace having gone down a rough country road with you would be good to see you go round the ring

maybe next year ?

#28 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

I will be bringing the minus this year, But space will be an issue. Pinch may want to come in his mini this year so he can take a tent and some bits. Otherwise could someone else either take my tent off me at brands or I could share a tent with someone???

#29 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:13 AM

gearing will be too low to optimise lap times at the ring, but they will be great fun all the same.

#30 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Local Club: NF500

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:42 AM

I'll take some bits for you Al or bring the big tent mate up to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users