46 replies to this topic

#1 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:51 PM

Finally found myself a shell which I was quite happy with, and confident that I could fix all the problems with it.
So got the truck out, and went and Picked it up last night.
We used the same truck to pick up dam_Busters shell, however, Dammys shell had no sub frames, and no weight to it. 3 of us could lift it above our heads.

On the other hand, My shell was more of a car, FULL of parts. So was a damn sight heavier. Luckily it had rear wheels, so 3 at the front, 3 at the back, And a couple of ramps from the truck to the ground meant we could "Wheel barrow" the car up onto the back of the truck.
Posted Image

Scrote (Far Left) thought it would be great to FILL the boot with all the sh1te from his garage which he didnt want. I didnt realise until I got the shell back at my garage and opened the boot to find it was full of cr4p. :dozing:
Rusty old disks and USED brake pads. cheers Dude! Posted Image

The shell was the stuck in the garage until this morning, When I was up bright and early ready to get cutting! :dozing:
Got the grinder out, and removed the whole front end, A-Panels and all.
To find this! :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

RRRRUST! Lots of! hehe.
Not really too bothered about it to be honest, Nothing a little welding cant sort out. The Scuttle is MINT, as are both Outer sills, Rear quarters, most of the floor is solid. And the one door which came with the shell is also A Minter! ;)

Found more rot once the door was off too, Lower A-pillar area was all crusty. Will have to get some repair panels.
Posted Image

Here are the lovely Sills! :-
Posted Image

Both ends of the X-member are going to need cutting and fresh pieces welding in.
Posted Image

Then I called it a day, And Tucked it up for the night.
Shall carry on with it this Sunday.
Posted Image

#2 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:57 PM

i notice you are using oversills :thumbsup: - they tend to trap water and are a false economy. best to use the narrow type

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

i notice you are using oversills :thumbsup: - they tend to trap water and are a false economy. best to use the narrow type

i was just about to say that. I bought oversills by accident so I cut it right down the middle to turn it into a proper sill with vents. looks like an original and works like one too.

shell looks ok mate!... nothing shocking yet!

#4 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:30 PM

over-sills. Damn. :thumbsup:
Didn't realize that. I do know that there is nothing underneath them though. ;)
Ive looked in through the Inner sills and its solid inside.

Got any photos of what you have done with yours Retro?
Could I just drill some neat holes at the lowest point in the sills to let the water out?

<|ben|>

#5 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:35 PM

Glad you've found a good shell Binge, looks like there's not too much to do! :thumbsup: Bloomin Minis and tinworm! :dozing:

I am gonna be interested to see this project develop, I am seriously contemplated a K-series job for my future roadster! ;)

Good luck with it! :-

#6 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:43 PM

I'll post a pic tomorrow of what i did with my sills.

Yeah you could just drill some holes or slots in them.

#7 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:05 PM

I did the same with my sills binge works fine!

Are you going for the 1.4K still? I am considering doing a conversion in mine at the moment aswell! You with your K-series, jammy with his V-tec and me with whatever i have alwithing 5 miles of each other would be GREAT!!!

#8 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:16 PM

defonatly! ;)

Obviously im only going to be pushing a maximum of about 115 - 120bhp. So its not going to keep up with any Vtec Mini or Vaux mini. But it should still rip! :dozing:
To say my old 1275MG was about 50bhp, and it used to keep up with all the 1.4 hatches, I'm sure this thing will be able to look after its self! :-

Once I rip these inner sills out, I'm going to waxoyl / hammerite the insides of the sills to give them some extra protection. Will probably cut some slots in the "Bumps" too.

My biggest worry at the moment is the rear bins though, I can see the floor through the bottom on both sides. And i really don't know the structure of the rear end, So I don't know what is supposed to be attached to what. :thumbsup:|

#9 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:42 PM

Was out having a gander at the shell tonight and came across more "Crust" :-
Dosnt look all that bad though, Alot of it appears to be light surface rust which should come off with a wire brush drill attachment, and a lick of hammerite! :goaway:

Here is the underside of the top of the Rear quater panel. :thumbsup:
The "Lip" area which is below the rear opening windows.
Very flakey, But no signs of rust or bubbles on the outside of the panel yet, So hopefully it will brush off, and layers of hammerite will be enough to protect it. :goaway:
Posted Image

Along the seam / Lip on the rear quater panel I noticed theres a "Crack". Then panel its self is coming away from its lip. Im hoping the Oxy/acc Gas welder will be able to do a neat seam on the inside.
Posted Image

Looking down into the rear bin. Hole on the arch its self, And can also see the "Crack" in the rear quarter. Other than that they look quite solid. Bit of cleaning up. Will be able to do that once ive cut the bench back and bins Posted Image

Surface rust appearing around the parcel shelf corners, Probably where water was getting in through the rear openers. Should wire brush out. (he says:P)
Posted Image

A closer look shows theres alot of work to be done around the "inner arches" to make them look neat and tidy.
Remember theres a removable front end going on this car, So tis got to look good! :withstupid:
Posted Image

Shouldn't be too long before the engine is pulling its shell. :goaway:
Posted Image

#10 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Local Club: ...

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:31 PM

should be a good little project this.

what are you doing about a subframe?

is it a 1.4?

J

#11 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:01 PM

Yup, I'm putting a 1.4GTi engine in it from a K-series Metro.
I'm using the All New All speed K-series Sub frame from The 16v Mini shop.

Ive just been grinding away the rear bench for the past hour, Ive done one Side.
A good tip is to smash all that "Sound proofing" cr4p off the floor before you start cutting though. it STINKS when it burns! :-

Ive cut one of the rear bins away to reveal a nice hole in the floor, Behind it is the Sill which is solid, So i`m just going to cut a clean hole and stick a plate over it.

Ive also noticed that along the bottom of the rear opening windows. The "Rail" if you like is all filler. Ive started grinding the filler off to reveal lots of little pinprick rust holes, So looks like im going to have to split the seam along the top of the rear 1/4 and stick a new rail in each side.

Anyone know a good place to get a pair?

<|ben|>

#12 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:20 PM

Good to see you getting stuck back into minis mate :-

#13 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:41 PM

Obviously im only going to be pushing a maximum of about 115 - 120bhp. So its not going to keep up with any Vtec Mini or Vaux mini. But it should still rip! :goaway:

Yeah mate, that much BHP in a mini is certainly respectable, especially when it's running a 5 speed gear box! :-

#14 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:44 PM

Want me to cut you some more sections bud?

Coming anlong nicely (Y)

#15 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:32 PM

Want me to cut you some more sections bud?

Coming anlong nicely (Y)

If my rents had the room id be happy to just take it all off you, But theres no room here. So whatever salvage`able panels you have, Id love to take off your hands! :-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users