#31 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:11 PM

Ive sourced a New shell now. Its a Clubman! :(

Belongs to our very own Mic. Drove across the country to have a look tonight, Shall be collecting it some time in the next week or so.

Other than a bit of plating around the airvent pannels, And a little bit of TLC around the rear bins. The shell looks pretty damn good to me. Rear subframe is off, So the Mounts are solid too.
Happy with that. Cheers Mic! :)

Current shell is sat in my garage, Next few days I will be chopping out the few good bits it has, Then scrapping the rest unfortionatly. I was planning to make a trailer out of it, But for the effort involved in replacing the now butchered rear quarters, I may aswell just buy one of the 16v "tub trailers" once Ive got the car on the road.

<|ben|>

#32 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:59 AM

Legend ben, so you went and had a look and liked it then?

#33 Mini-Dave

Mini-Dave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:12 PM

Unlucky mate, you've probably made the right decision tho!, i know i wouldn't want to put a load of effort into a shell, then discover that i welded the rear subby mounts in the wrong place and find it don't fit!!

Take any pics of the new shell ??

Good work :(

Dave

#34 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

Hey, if the deal with the Clubby falls through then let me know. I know of a few shells going cheap, one has a decent bodykit on which you may like.

#35 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:22 PM

Clubby is certainly coming home with me. Mic has Kept it dry stored, jacked up off the floor. Its also way too good to turn down.

As soon as I can get this truck I will collect the shell. Unfortunately didn't get any pictures of the shell. But here are a few old uns which Mic has taken in the past.

I has been fitted with Over sills, but they will more than likely be coming off so I can waxoyl everything. Will then probably cut them in half and weld them on like Normal Sills.
Posted Image

Rear subframe has been off, back on, And then off again. So the mounts are certainly useable. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

There is about 6" of lower dash rail cut out, Not sure why. But its nothing drastic. Ive got a spare dash rail which I will just weld straight in.

Other than that, i was very pleased with the shell.

<|Ben|>

#36 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:43 PM

glad you got a shell ben, told you it was ion good nick :thumbsup:

#37 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:10 PM

Yep, Im chuffed with it!

Got my plans thought out already! :thumbsup:

I'm taking my Steering racks and Hubs into work tomorrow to clean up. Gona service both Steering racks, Fit new Gaiters and Track rod ends! :P

Then the next big thing will be to begin modifying this Rear subframe to make it into a Beam Axle! :withstupid:

<|ben|>

#38 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:36 AM

I'll post a pic tomorrow of what i did with my sills.

Yeah you could just drill some holes or slots in them.

paint the inside of the sills with weld thru primer then plenty of waxoyl. don't do the waxoyl bit on a tarmac drive as it makes a mess :thumbsup:

#39 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:34 PM

Unfortunately the Clubman Shell I was going to collect next week is now un-available. So i`m again, On the hunt for a shell.
Bad thing is ive pretty much obliterated my current shell, and cut out all the bits I would of needed for this new shell. So theres not really any going back on this shell. Its Scrap Yard material.

Good news is, Ive made a rear beam out of my old subframe. Just got to find a substitute for those rear Radius arms. They are stupidly heavy. Would like something lighter.

Also refurbed my Steering rack and gave it a paint. Good as a New`un.
Posted Image

Other than that, nothing has changed as of yet. ^_^

#40 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Local Club: ...

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:05 AM

Unfortunately the Clubman Shell I was going to collect next week is now un-available.

thats a bummer.

Good news is, Ive made a rear beam out of my old subframe. Just got to find a substitute for those rear Radius arms. They are stupidly heavy. Would like something lighter.

treat. this is what i have done. got any pictures of the "beam"?

SC and KAD sell billet and alloy ones but they are £££, what are the alternatives?

J

Edited by $way, 07 April 2007 - 10:10 AM.

#41 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:22 PM

I'm sure Ive seen a set of Radius arms made from Box Steel somewhere.
Dont really like the thought of making my own though to be honest. I Only just trust myself to weld pannels together.

Ill get some photos of the Rear beam in a bit. Just need to get out of my Work gear and have some Tea first.
I took it into work today so I could weld all the "pannels" of what is left of the subframe together with seams. Rather than Rovers Rather "Shoddy" spot welding. ^_^

It looks good, Just needs shot blasting and Powder coating. Then it should look superb.

I removed the entire 1/4 panel today. Ive pretty much removed all the rust from the Near side rear section of the car now. And to be honnest, Theres not alot left there to build back onto. So im seriously getting my doubts up about the whole thing. The more I cut out, The weaker im making what is left of the shell. And the More good welding is required.

Ill keep you updated, Hopefully a Good nick shell will crop up sooner or later.

<|ben|>

#42 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

Today I went to Ashford to dam_buster's Lockup where his Ex-VVC metro sits rather unloved and battered up now. :wub:
It was the perfect opportunity to rape it for all the parts needed for the Engine transplant.

Stumbled into a bit of a problem when it came to the electrics though as the previous owner, A so called "Pro Fiberglasser" had cut all the Loom out, So the bits I needed were all chopped up! :(

I managed to get the Gear linkage, Fuel cut off switch, and what appears to be a Fuse pack, but the Loom and box connections have been cut off. So I don't think thats any good to me! :P

I managed to get some photos of the bits and pieces anyway.

Heres the rear Beam I finished welding the other day. it just needs cleaning and painting up now.
Posted Image

And not so much "progress" but more like "Experimental" on the shell.
Posted Image

The Gear linage a la Metro.
Posted Image

Fuel cut off :)
Posted Image

And finally the butchered Fuse box!
Posted Image

Im off to look at a few shells tomorrow night. So hopefully I will have a new one on the go in the next few days. ^_^

Edited by binge, 08 April 2007 - 06:55 PM.

#43 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Local Club: ...

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:46 AM

good stuff.

hope you find a decent shell mate.

J

#44 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:51 AM

Binge, you've just answered one of my questions for me! ;) Thanks!

I have just bought a 1600 K series for my 'Roadster' project, which I pick up this week some time. I was wondering what you were going to do about a gear linkage, but the piccy of the Metro one you have posted has answered my question without me even having to ask it! ;)

Cheers, Matt

#45 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:17 AM

Hey Binge just wondering what you used to cut out the panels on your car?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users