6 replies to this topic

#1 BlAck0ut

BlAck0ut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:30 PM

After tlaking to bluemini (rich) he described to me how fitting Hi Los will knacker my standard shocks...

This was also taken from a tech article on this site that I think has been written by him:

A word of warning tho!!! If your going to lower your mini, decide how much before you do it, if your only going to go up to an inch lower you will be ok, but if your going lower still, your going to need shortened shocks. (I personaly recomend GAZ adjustables, they are brilliant, 32 point adjustable and fully re-buildable should they need it). The reason behind the shortened shocks is that the rears mainly, but sometimes the fronts too, tend to bottom out or run out of travel and some of the harsher bumps. This is barable for a while, but it will ruin your shocks and further more eventually either rip the front shock mounts off or push the rear shock tops though the arches!! If it only bottoms out occasionaly then you can get away with getting a set of tie-rod bushes, cut a slit into the middle and put one on each shock strut. This acts as a cushion for the shock to hit, instead of the shock head.

So now I'm looking at the GAZ Adjustables and Hi Lo set from Huddersfield Spares...

Posted Image

£200

I know these are bmuch better than spax or gmax (should be as they are £70 more) But I'm still un sure.

Not doubting blue mini's advice but after reading 'Roberts' problems with his spax I'm still aprehensive as they are still a similar product.

Also I will be trying to fit these myself, even though I have a tech article out of a recent Mini World, plus my Haynes Manual It seems a bit daunting looking at the nut which holds my current shocks on as it looks firmyl tight there, (robs hasnt been touched since the factory). Also hearing about how hard it is to get the knuckels off which again soudns daughting as I dont have a blow tourch or anything!

All I'm asking is how good the kit is...

Is it worth me getting (I'm 16 and only earn around £40 a week).

Will the GAZ Adjustables and Hi Los be hard to fit?

#2 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:43 PM

After tlaking to bluemini (rich) he described to me how fitting Hi Los will knacker my standard shocks...

Not doubting blue mini's advice but after reading 'Roberts' problems with his spax I'm still aprehensive as they are still a similar product.

Firstly, it will kill your standard shocks if you lower the car, if your gonna leave it at standard height then they will be ok, but if thats the case then there is no point in fitting hi-los.

Secondly, Roberts had a different type of set up to yours. He was using coil-overs which does away with the original rubber suspesion altogether and makes it more like a modern car.

#3 BlAck0ut

BlAck0ut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 09:25 AM

Cool,

Is it worth me reaplcing the other parts of the susepnsion at the same time?

maybe the cones or sommit?

#4 nec

nec

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 09:40 AM

Stay well clear of GAZ. I used them because someone recommended them. They corrode in no time, one shock was 20% softer than the other according to a graph that came with them (would you run tyre pressures 20% out?) and they are very harsh.
Save up for a few days and buy what I did. The new range of SPAX Krypton Gas shocks are brilliant in all respects.
I got mine from Silverstone Tuning and the service was great. Tel. 01280 848881.

#5 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 02:30 PM

I have't heard a single bad word about KYB (Kayaba) shocks. They're reasonably cheap, and even Keith Calver *goes down onto knees* reccomends them.

#6 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 06:45 PM

just be aware that those arent the real hi-los, but the cheap copies of them.

#7 BlAck0ut

BlAck0ut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 08:27 PM

Ye, I noticed that.

Mini spares do the same kit but with the proepr 'Orinigal' Hi los,

also 67p cheaper :P

How much are the KYBs with orininal Hi Los?

I've also heard alot of people saying they arew the best

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users